myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui ultra fins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Hey Mike, I tend to agree, but the way Brian cants his thrusters, there will
be some additional drag due to the angle of incidence and toe in.
I had him put some into my HiTech about 12 years ago, and it really did
slow the thing down some, but as Mike F. says, I can ride the thing WFO,
It's my favorite board in 3.7 conditions

Not sure I'd put a pointer in there, but I'd definitely try a sweeper and see
how it works.

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
Im definitely no expert, but it seems that the drag of the fins is just a sum of all the drags and same for lift... side fins or not, if the center fin has less drag and more lift the board will be faster. I got the glass board with thrusters for the control, so that I can go faster comfortably.Ill try out some of my rainbow pointer fins and see what happens. I swapped my slotted fin for a race fin on my F2 wave one time and it was substantially faster Very Happy.

I haven't tried my MUF Wave in my 8'2" OO yet. I had a great time with my TA Enduro in it but man that fin is flexy. You can really feel it twist cranking hard S turns.

mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
mchaco1 wrote:
Im definitely no expert, but it seems that the drag of the fins is just a sum of all the drags and same for lift... side fins or not, if the center fin has less drag and more lift the board will be faster.

I swapped my slotted fin for a race fin on my F2 wave one time and it was substantially faster Very Happy.

F2 waves have faster hulls, and that fin detracts significantly from the board's performance strengths. Low-drag fins don't ADD speed to a board's potential, rather, they SUBTRACT less speed than a high-drag fin does. It's like filling a hollow board with helium can't make the board lighter than the total weight of its glass and resin and boxes.
Looks like you have some big shoes to grow into on that GEM.

Filling a hollow board with helium would make it lighter though Wink Filling it with air would not... And subtracting a negative is the same as a positive. Im not expecting it to turn into a slalom board, I just want to get a very versatile fin that wont slow the board down while keeping me spinout free. It will definitely be shared among many boards, the F2 and the spoon should like it too, along with the Minislalom I hope to get next season. My main goal here was to hear from some people that have used the MUF fins and can verify/dispute MUF's claims on their website. So far the consensus seems to be that they are generally true.

Thanks for the GEM review, its impossible to find info like that online for the older boards. That sounds pretty similar to the 8'10. Its a twitchy beast until you get settled in, but once you do it flies. I may need to fills some smaller shoes though, my heels keep hitting the water and filling up my wetsuit legs like balloons Laughing Im hoping looser straps and some Padz will fix that...
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:

I haven't tried my MUF Wave in my 8'2" OO yet. I had a great time with my TA Enduro in it but man that fin is flexy. You can really feel it twist cranking hard S turns.

The wave sounds like a good compromise, I may still go witht he Nospin, just so that I can share it with Craigs French that I hope to pick up next year (I promise ill get rid of one to make space and go to my weekly Boardaholics anonymous meeting Laughing )
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heels dragging for a good sailor means too small fin, too small sail, not enough wind, too forward mast track.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Heels dragging for a good sailor means too small fin, too small sail, not enough wind, too forward mast track.

What does it mean for a bad sailor? The fin was a good size, the wind was pretty bad though and I was on the edge of power most of the time. Ill keep at it.

Side note: does anyone think it would be a terrible idea to move the straps inboard a bit by moving the center screw to one side (the inserts are single screw, the straps are three hole and have a hard plastic base with a long three hole metal shim) most of the torque seems to be on the outside edge of the strap where the screws would be. I kept catching my toes in the opposite strap all day, and of course, any shimmying about on the GEM causes wild carving. Id also like them a little closer together for easier landings.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Heels dragging for a good sailor means too small fin, too small sail, not enough wind, too forward mast track ...

and straps set too tightly. My size 13s clear the water fine on boards with 13" wide tails (at the straps) simply because my rear strap is set to swallow them up. I could probably hang five, or at least one, on the lee side of my board tails if I tried. My back foot virtually never hangs up in crashes, and having my back foot span the board tail and thus dominate the fin and tail enhances that foot's instant and virtually total command of my board's path. Merely scrunching my aft big toe sends the board straight downwind; add a little conscious pressure from the ball of that foot and I'm almost instantly face to face with anyone who was tailgating me. (Take a hint ... please; don't tailgate hot pink sails. It's risky.)
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
the spoon should like it too

Betcha make a coffee table out of that spoon after one session on the OO.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
does anyone think it would be a terrible idea to move the straps inboard ...

Depends on your objectives for the board. Max speed favors feet outboard, max maneuverability favors one center strap. Any configuration is manageable on any board by remounting or modifying the straps, building a thin SS bridge, or adding inserts. I've done all three successfully.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
mchaco1 wrote:
the spoon should like it too

Betcha make a coffee table out of that spoon after one session on the OO.

Ill take that bet... Ive been on an OO before, but never one made for someone my size. The other one felt too fast, im hoping this one does too Very Happy
The spoon has its place, but unless I can stop the leaking, it has a limited lifespan.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, bad sailor.
Need more fin for the wind conditions. Need bigger sail. Need straps bigger so foot goes in farther. Need booms lower and track back so the sail lifts the windward rail more.
Need lots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: