myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui ultra fins
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Maui ultra fins Reply with quote

I want to pick one up sooner or later for my new Open Ocean. I was looking for a fin with close to slalom speed, that is very resistant to spinout and can still do a decent turn. I dont need to slash or do waves with it, but I dont want a long fin that will catch early when Im jumping. The Nospin-cross seems just about right , but they dont mention anything about its speed charachteristics. Anyone have any opinions on these? Or even on the MUF slalom, they say they are spin out resistant too.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Maui ultra fins Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I want to pick one up sooner or later for my new Open Ocean. I was looking for a fin with close to slalom speed, that is very resistant to spinout and can still do a decent turn. I don't need to slash or do waves with it, but I dont want a long fin that will catch early when Im jumping.

Mike, that's a mismatch. OO's forte is user-friendly, easy-access cruising and carving and chop-hopping for the masses in bread-and-butter Gorge winds and terrain. It ain't no speed board, which is why Brian puts slotted fins and thrusters on it and is part of the reason it tames rough conditions. A good $10 wave or B&J fin (as you know, you can find those in excellent condition, made by Curtis or True Ames, at Gorge swaps) is perfect for your new slippers. I've sold a brand new OO fin for not much more than that. If anti-spin is paramount, get one with a slot; it won't slow down that OO. Save your hundred-dollar fast fin for a board designed to benefit from it.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that its no slalom board, but I think the nospin-cross matches it well, its a high wind/wild condition bump and jump fin. I have other boards Id use it on too, but I want the perfect fin to go with my perfect board Very Happy If I pic up a mini-slalom board next year then it should work good with it too. No point on using a limiting slotted fin if the nospin can deliver the same with better upwind and top end (according to them).
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add a 34 Tetonics GoldWing on the OO and gain absolutely nothing, as Isobars said. Those side bites are speed limiters, giving you control and anti spin, and dragging any slalom fin down to the designed speed of the board.
You an put NikeAir's on a Clydesdale, but it's still a Clydestale.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
You can add a 34 Tetonics GoldWing on the OO and gain absolutely nothing, as Isobars said. Those side bites are speed limiters, giving you control and anti spin, and dragging any slalom fin down to the designed speed of the board.
You an put NikeAir's on a Clydesdale, but it's still a Clydestale.

HA!Well put.
Like I said via PM mchaco1, I would go with a True Ames Enduro or equal on that board. The MUF Wave would be good too. I'm using a MUF NoSpin on my 8'4" light epoxy OO with no side fins and it and it works really well but you're gonna use that board when it's really cranking and speed won't be something you're wishing you had more of. Don't try to make the board something it's not.

mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill look more into the wave too, but I still like the nospin Very Happy
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the center fin only using a MUF may be a good option.
ask
Olaf

at

info@mauiultrafins.com

what you need is some info on MUF fins not OO in particular

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1,

Why not give the Maui Ultra Fin No-Spin Cross a chance. So many folks have these preconceived ideas about fins that box them into thoughts that have little basis in fact. Ironically, LeeD mentions a 34cm Tectonics Goldwing, but what if you used a 26 or 28cm Goldwing? I have a 34cm Goldwing, and it's a sweet fin, especially in rough water. I also have a 32cm Tectonics F1 Falcon, and it's an incredible fin for 5.0 conditions on my 80 liter Mike's Lab Wave Slalom on the ebb at the Delta. It doesn't have the wavey outline, but that doesn't mean that it isn't loose and solid in the turns. Another way to look at things is total area of the fin. Unfairly, I think that high aspect fins often get a bad rap. Sometimes thinking out of the box pays off.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the particulars on the OO in question ? I saw in the shop that Brian makes several constructions.

just generally the Nospin cross, Ride, Style and Wave have similar shapes

Using on several different boards, from Angulo to Witchcraft the MUFs have performed as written on the tin lid.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
What are the particulars on the OO in question ? I saw in the shop that Brian makes several constructions.

just generally the Nospin cross, Ride, Style and Wave have similar shapes

Using on several different boards, from Angulo to Witchcraft the MUFs have performed as written on the tin lid.

Since the side fins are glassed on and the black tail bottom, I assume it's one of his older flagship "Enduro" boards. I believe he's only been using his alternative light construction for a few years. My last board, 8'4 is a construction method he just started, or will start offering to the general public. I'm going to talk to him later this morning. I'll ask him about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: