myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf-SUP crossovers - any reviews?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBaySwell

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Windsurf-SUP crossovers - any reviews? Reply with quote

What are the Windsurf-SUP crossover boards like to ride?

A couple are the RRD series, the Whopper among other from Starboard, Bic Jungle, some JP, kona.

Any reviews from the coast or inside the bay?

I'm interested in the potential of the sail, wave sail, paddle surf combination. Looking primarily at models that don't have a retractable daggerboard.

Thanks
nw30

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to~
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?board=18.0
for pages of reviews on this subject.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the boards that you mentioned only the Kona is a real windsurfer, and only the Kona offers fun/comfortable in the straps high wind freeriding and light wind wave sailing. The UK Boards forum has some good reviews of the Kona. If you mainly want to paddle and seldom use a sail then most of the major SUP brands that come with a mast insert are OK. If you mainly want to sail and occasionally paddle, I'd say you are SOL unless you are light enough and agile enough to paddle a Kona.

So far I have sailed a Amundson 11'3, a RRD 8'5 Wassup and a Coreban 9'6 that I had a mast track installed on. None of them planed as easily as a windsurfer. They were all a lot of fun mucking about in the waves in light wind. The RRD went DTL the best. Both the RRD and the Coreban planed easier than the Amundson. My favorite all round SUP / light wind wavesailing of the 3 is the Coreban - planed surprisingly well for a surf rockered SUP, and amazing to paddle surf.
NickB

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which bay you're talking about, but if you're near SF bay, Boardsports in Alameda has quite a few hybrid models in their rental fleet, Starboard, Naish, and JP's I think.

I have rented several over the last 3 seasons, but I always go back to the Naish Nalu 11'6 AST. Not the fastest, but a very comfortable flat water SUP (haven't tried it in waves), and an excellent old school sailboard reminiscent of an original Windsurfer. And so much fun to surf down the chop in light wind that it'd probably be great in small waves too, it has the tail and fin for it.

It's a heavy but very solid board. I believe it's in their rental fleet for the 2nd or 3rd season, used for SUP rental, beginner windsurf rentals, and SUP/windsurf lessons, one of their workhorse, but still in great condition. No daggerboard but no problem going upwind thanks to long rails. Confortable padded deck in the right places. Fun to dick around on in sub-planing conditions, and still very fun when on a plane.
jlederer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starboard element 9'8 a blast to sup wave sail in light winds in southern cal.
antonius

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Texas last week at WorldWinds and got some time on the water on the 10' WASSUP with footstraps while Brendon from ABK was on the 8'5". Brendon got really close to pulling off a Flaka and did manage to plane out of his donkey jibes. I planed out of jibes on the 10 and even had fun chop-hopping. I enjoy jumping the 8'5" but this was the first time I tried it on the 10.
If you do plan on using it for light wind cruising, consider the convertible, with the center fin and I think the 10' will be the better choice. It's also easier to paddle. More experience paddlers prefer the 8'5" in waves but the 10' is easier and has better glide for paddling flat water. It's not as lively and maneuverable as the 8'5" though.

Neither are as fast as regular windsurf boards, but they plane well and are fun once up and going.

This video is old by now but still worth seeing for you if you haven't yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlzhV6eNv3g
That's the WASSUP 8'5" and Diamond 9'6".
And this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CHzDBrBUDs

Tony

www.velawindsurf.com
salty-skin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the 10'6" rrd wassup convertible, Delta Windsurf sells RRD and they ordered it for me at the end of last season. For me, it's the perfect setup, but MY sailing it is pretty low on the priority.

I SUP in the surf at mellow sites in Santa Cruz, and it's fun for those because even a greenhorn like me can turn it. The other SUP's I tried would just tilt in the water with rail pressure and still go straight. So if you want to surf with it, then I'd highly recommend it. Very Happy

I'm a greenhorn which is why I went with the 10'6". Shorter and I was unsure if I could stay on, I still struggle to get it out through beachbreak surf, and sometimes fall when trying to spin the board around to catch a wave.

I paddle it in flat water in the bay some early mornings, and it doesn't have much glide. The width and rocker both work against glide. So if your main goal is flat water paddling I'd look elsewhere.Question

My kids windsurfing this board (non-planing) out at the delta in the play pen. This board is stable enough that the small chop no longer scares the kids, the padded deck prevents scratches on their knees, and the width means when they step backwards (towards rail) they won't step into the water and they get a moment to recover. This board gives a lot of confidence to the beginner windsurfer. Very Happy

Demo some boards at Boardsports, Ed's at Cowell's, Delta Windsurf, or Covewater in the conditions you plan to use the board, to get a handle on how they respond.
matterhorn

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about 190 pounds and use a starboard 9' converse for SUP cruising, SUP surfing, SUP wavesailing. It will not really get on a plane with the sail setup, but it can be a lot of fun for the days when the conditions are less then perfect. I usually try to ride the softer portion of the wave since it is a lot of board for wavesailing. For straight windsurfing it feels a little funny but would be very stabel for a beginner in moderate conditions.
It's main strength seems to be in sup surfing.- enough stability- plenty of manouverability.
It woks fine to just sup cruise, yet it is not fast and does not cut through the water if you are trying to paddle for miles and miles....
I like the board a lot since there are so many different ways to ride it!
hope this helps
philippe
Windshark

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antonius Very Happy...

I got to try several of the RRD convertible boards a few weekends ago.

The WASSUP's sailed great in light wind with the center fin installed - they point upwind easily, almost difficult to make it down wind, but its not a problem without the center fin of course...a board pointing upwind is what you want most of the time for beginners or light wind sailing.

Wassups are nice and comfortable as SUP's. No, they don't have the glide that some SUP's like Hobie Surf and Naish's, but they are super stable, durable, and have soft deck all over it.

The smaller SUP's they have are (I cant remember the name) easier to sail downwind and turn - there is one that is a tri-fin.

RRD does make something called a Cruiser convertible (the one with Zebra wood on the deck) - that thing sails in light wind almost as good as any old longboard like a Superlight or an Equipe, and tracks beautifully as an SUP.

Have not had a chance to sail a Fanatic Fly or a BIC Jungle convertible SUP.

www.mariner-sails.com
Mariner Sails Wind and Watersports
Windshark

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about the Kona's is they are pretty good windsurf boards, and fair SUP's or Surf Boards. They do not compare to a real SUP or a convertible though.

www.mariner-sails.com
Mariner Sails Wind and Watersports
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: