myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board getting ready to break in half?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to spend 3 months trying to wrangle a response to a warranty issue is totally unacceptable, and it only becomes more insulting when the president of the company offers a totally lame reason for walking away from the situation. Buyer beware is my final take from what happened.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on! Their boards are fine! Just do not put them in the water.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I'm not trying to run down Exocet but the curious thing is that I have been negotiating this problem with the dealer who has been negotiating with Exocet for 3 months now. Over the last month I had to insist on a decision of some sort.
The link to this thread was forwarded so Exocet knew full well this was a public discussion and their final verdict would be published online.
It think I would be satisfied if they paid to have it fixed but sadly that hasn't been offered. Sad

sorry , I didn't mean that . In your your case you have exhausted the warranty/appeal process and you are not happy , nor would I be.

They had several options and did nothing to come to a agreement .

I am not surprised at the outcome, having seen first hand a warranty issue, and BOTH the dealer and company were unsupportive.

agree with SC post 3 months is excessive, they just wanted you to go away, and wear you down.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the biggest part of the problem is because Exocet probably only sells only a small percentage of their boards to the US market and are therefore not too concerned about some bad publicity in the English language.
I'll bet if I lived in Europe or especially France there would be a different outcome.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'd feel different if I was pimping them on internet forums and getting boards for free Surprised
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Lucaro wrote:
Did your board go over the falls in the shore pound?

The board was never turned upside down by the shore break. I held on to the rig for most of the time. The entire action was not very dramatic, which is why I was surprised to see the damage after putting it down on the shore.

Then it does seem like pretty significant damage for not much insult.

Although, we all know that our boards are not indestructible I think most of us assume that a board should hold up to minor insult without suffering damage. And one would hope that manufacturers would be somewhat flexible with their repair/replacement policy's knowing how much we spend on their gear and how infrequently we buy new gear.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No satisfaction from manufacturer who claims no evidence of man. defect. B.S.

2. Board must be repaired.

3. Sand thru the paint 4" either side of defect to reveal the foam. You don't have to sand thru the glass. I'll bet you see two pieces of foam here glued end to end. This should never be done in a high stress area. Faulty design.

4. If not enough glue was used there would have been a slight void which got glassed over, resulting in resin filling the void. The resin shrinks when curing, leaving the slight depression, and a stress riser.

5. Take some pictures, maybe you'll have some evidence for a claim.

6.Waterloo got a brand new board out of the box with the same defect! He got a refund, but was out $250.00 in shipping charges.

7. Exocet should at least pay for the repair
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Waterloo got a brand new board out of the box with the same defect!

What kind of board? Exocet WindSUP or something else?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucaro wrote:
Although, we all know that our boards are not indestructible

True. When I broke the nose of my Skate 110 working on loops, I knew what I had done wrong, and thoughts about warranty claims never entered my mind (the board was just a few months old).

But a recurring theme in comments on my blog post and emails is that SUPs break and buckle a lot. I think this also means "a lot easier than we think". Perhaps that's the logical consequence of the SUPs being a lot lighter than old longboards (although the WindSUP is not that light).
Or maybe the production techniques are not (yet?) adequate. That's definitely the case when mast plugs come out, something I've seen a few times. Seems like joining pieces of foam in high stress areas falls into this category, too.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^
construction techniques?

jeesh, ive got a 20 yr old megacat still in service, its seen a lot of abuse over the years.. in the ocean, and great lakes, and its been in conditions it was never intended for..including shorebreak.. and now, this past year, the seam is just starting to come apart..and its every bit as light, or lighter than my sups.
and ive also got an equipe about the same vintage, its a bit heavier, still lots of abuse, and no issues.

also, if you go to the exocet site, in the board selector page, youll see the windsup is recommended for waves and schools. you would assume theyed be built to take a bit of abuse.
http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/selector.php

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: