myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board getting ready to break in half?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think whatever the cause and effect it IS still where the PVC is joined together.
Were it a jagged line I would think otherwise

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloo wrote:
Interesting BB - I purchased an Exo Mahalo that came with a very similar, but deeper, crease running fully across the board - straight out of the box!

Waterloo, did you keep the board? what was the resolution?
waterloo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So bit of a long story...

It was new so had to decide whether could fix, replace etc.

Ultimately couldn't find someone who would fix and guarantee so had to send it back. It was a closeout deal and the last available, current year model was significantly more expensive.

So in the end I don't have the board and was out of pocket a for two sets of shipping costs (around $250) - could have been worse, have to put that one down to experience.

I think from looking at the photos the depth of the indention was greater in my case, so it may have had a greater level of damage. The thing about such a repair is that it adds weight to the board and devalues the secondhand value should you wish to sell within a year or so, after which it is not such an impact value wise.

Given that it looks like exactly the same sort of crease as I had, and listening to what others have said in previous posts it is looking like there is some sort of problem with the construction procedure.

I wish you success in taking it up with your retailer.

Cheers
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the rep, some earlier pictures I sent him when it was brand new do not show the crease, but it wasn't so easy to see when it first appeared, now as time goes on it is becoming more evident as the finish is cracking.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an email from Patrice, the owner of Exocet;

Sorry for this late answer, after looking at the pictures and different comments on the forum, i can state that the issue is not due to juncture with PVC

We did have such issues on several short boards with similar crease and in most cases it is due to a hard stress, it does not really matter how many time you have sailed with the board but to me it seems that you "may" have sailed it pretty hard one day in side shore and steep choppy water or took off on a even small jump and got some stress on the board

Such crease can be easily repaired in any shop, but i can't see miss manufacturing from our side

If the whole bottom of the board would been soft then you would have had many more waves and in that case it would have been a clear production problem

Let me know if you have further feedback to give me and will answer you straight away

Best regards

Looks like I'm on my own with this. Sad
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am feeling your pain.

Can't say i am too happy with exocet's response, and it isn't even my board.

You shell out a bunch of cash for a new board with the expectation that it can handle normal conditions. It fails and they tell you it was because you sailed it too hard.

I have a kona 11.5 that came off the roof of someones car while driving down the road. Sure it had considerable surface damage needing repair but no deep structural failure. It is heavy, especially as the initial repairs were pretty average and it took on water, but it is a strong board.

Perhaps the windsup is of lighter construction, but if it is sold as a wave board it should be able to handle reasonable conditions. At least that would be the assumption I would make especially if i see promo shots of people riding it in the surf, and it costs over 1200 bones.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your board. My Exocet WindSUP 10 buckled the second time I took it out in waves. I thought the damage was way out of proportion to the size of the waves. Exocet did not see this as a warranty case, either.

It's interesting to see a statement by a company owner that "a even small jump" can cause enough stress on a board to cause major damage, and that their general attitude is to blame "hard stress" and deny warranty claims.

Here is a list of things you should not do on Exocet boards:

Patrice, owner of Exocet wrote:
- sail pretty hard
- in side shore
- in steep choppy water
- a even small jump

We have about 15 boards, and all of them except the Exocet have taken such "abuse" for years without problems. There will be no purchases of Exocet boards in our future.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Even a small jump can cause this type of damage"???????? I have jumped old polyester wave boards 15 feet high and landed them flat, and so hard i thought I would put my foot through the deck. Never a problem. Could this be a major design flaw? If this happened to me I'd be livid!

Since you are on your own here, my deepest sympathies by the way, and if you can't find a local shop to fix it, you might try fixing it yourself. If the damage is only on the bottom of the board it should not be too difficult.

Is the deck ok, or is there damage there too? Perhaps it is impossible to see if the deck has eva foam oposite the damaged area.

Stuff like this should not happen. Pathetic.

Check out www.boardlady.com for lots of info on how to repair stuff. Good luck, hope you can fix it on the cheap.
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I crazily tried to take my Mistral Pacifico (original 11'4" version) through pre-hurricane surf, light straight-onshore wind, Fire Island. Made it a couple of hundred feet from shore, big wave took the board from me, and in the white water I couldn't catch up with it. Waves carried it all the way back to shore, and then shore break threw it up on the sand. Top batten of the sail was broken, and tore the batten pocket, but NO damage to the board. Will not try that again (though it was pretty exciting). But I routinely take the board through shore break into smallish surf with no issues. And though I don't try to jump it, outgoing through surf there is often plenty of air.

It seems to me that the likely point of damage for a convertible SUP is the mast track. Unless you have a heavy wave breaking directly on the board, you should not see that kind of damage. Interesting that we now have reports of similar issues with the 10 - which obviously is subjected to less stress by virtue of its size. I feel badly for Exocet, but they seem to have a problem.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since I'm shite out of luck and on my own with this I suppose I should start thinking about getting it repaired now sooner than later before the problem becomes worse.
Is it possible that the Styrofoam has not cracked yet and the damage is only on the skin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: