myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Ecstasy and the Agony
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbdogg wrote:
with me dairy is so obvious I can't ignore it.

If you're referring to lactose intolerance, neither can anyone under the same roof! I presume you've tried lactase (e.g., Lactaid) unsuccessfully? It eradicates lactose intolerance, without drugs, for most people. Besides milk being one of my favorite foods, chocolate skim milk is reportedly the best exercise recovery drink available.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I like the paleo diet the best, I feel great on it and everyone I know who does it long term looks like a superhero.

I've been very impressed with the Paleo books I've read, and with the results I've gotten from their core principles. However, there are huge differences between two Paleo schools of thought, including whole grains vs no grains. I've been unable to resolve that disparity by literature research or personal experience. Their logic persuasively says we should eat virtually no grains, most of the mainstream nutritional community says just the opposite.

Damn, I miss pancakes!
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not lastose... try casein- they used to make glue out of it. But I believe now it's an component of melamine. All good stuff!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa ... much bigger problem, with entirely different symptoms and treatment. I'll take lactose intolerance any time, even if for no other reason than that casein powder, used properly, is useful as a recovery supplement after a hard workout or a big day on the water. Dairy is also a less likely factor in muscle or joint pain, AFAIK.
ramps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what I'm reading in all this is that moderation is the key. Overdoing anything, be it exercise, sugar, fat, sex or video games is not good. A teaspoon of sugar on your cereal you probably won't feel, but a couple of sodas maybe yes.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things in moderation- especially moderation!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramps wrote:
So what I'm reading in all this is that moderation is the key. Overdoing anything, be it exercise, sugar, fat, sex or video games is not good. A teaspoon of sugar on your cereal you probably won't feel, but a couple of sodas maybe yes.

Unless, that is, you're among the tens of millions of people harmed by that bowl of grains, or the millions whose very lives are threatened by ANY grains containing gluten.

Exercise is VERY easy to overdo; a marathon degrades our immune system for many months, and I HOPE to get far more exercise every windy day than some puny little old marathon provides. I need at least 10 days to recover from 7 to 8 minutes of proper weight-lifting; pro bodybuilders, because they have the guts to push themselves harder, may take weeks.

If Sandra Fluke's hypothetical bud hasn't died yet from having sex three times a day for years, I doubt you or I are threatened by excessive sex.
ramps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If Sandra Fluke's hypothetical bud hasn't died yet from having sex three times a day for years, I doubt you or I are threatened by excessive sex

If only!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a private office.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing a lot is the best training for windsurfing. With that said, most of us can't get out enough to stay in tip top windsurfing condition, so we have to supplement. Train, workout, weights, jogging, whatever will strengthen your entire body including your core. If you get really sore, it's most likely a weak or unconditioned body that is being overstressed while sailing.

I am 67 and get on the water 80-90 days a year, but also average 1-2 days a week in the weight room for a full body workout. As we age, it's more critical to keep the strength up for windsurfing. Even on light to moderate wind days, it's pretty easy to stress many body parts in the gusts, crashes, or even carrying your rig to and from the water. I no longer carry my formula rig to and from the water in one piece. Take two trips and save the back,

For me, it's critical to do a little warm up before rigging and sailing. Down hauling a 9-11 meter sail can stress the back if not warmed up, so take the necessary time to warm up and streatch.

Weights are critical as well, but learning proper technique and avoiding the impulse to "lift heavy" to impress no one is smart. I am not doing weights to build strength, but I do what I do to MAINTAIN strength. For a while, I had serious back issues, but after a diagnosis of a weak core, I fixed the problem with a lot of core exercises which I will continue until I die.

Even when doing everything right, I still get sore, more in the lower back than any place else, and do take NSAIDS occasionally, but not after every outing. An hour on the water fatigues my entire body more than an hour in the weight room. It's a great sport for fitness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: