myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tendonitis from straps
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Tendonitis from straps Reply with quote

Ive been in the straps for about 2 months now, my right foot has been having problems with tendonitis in the big toe tendon on top of my foot. Its mostly a bit of pain and tightness on the arch and when i flex my toe way up and a weird rubber bandy feeling when I move my big toe. It seems to be caused partially by lifting the big toe while in the straps and partially by the rubbing on the strap. I rested a few days and it seemed to go away but after the last two days on the water its back. No issues in my left foot at all.

Anyone been through this before? What did you do about it? Would booties help?

I have insurance but its not very good and I might be able to make an appointment in 2 months to make another appointent to a foot dr in a few more months so thats why I havent just gone to the dr yet....
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the straps for 30 years now.
You might loosen the strap on that side, but make them bigger like the freestyler's do nowadaze. But make them narrower, so you foot doesn't go in all the way like the freestyler's. See if a change is for the better, or is your foot just gonna be that way regardless.
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tendonitis from straps Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
Ive been in the straps for about 2 months now, my right foot has been having problems with tendonitis in the big toe tendon on top of my foot. Its mostly a bit of pain and tightness on the arch and when i flex my toe way up and a weird rubber bandy feeling when I move my big toe. It seems to be caused partially by lifting the big toe while in the straps and partially by the rubbing on the strap.

Figure out why you're lifting your big toe and STOPPIT. Wink
If I had any interest in looping, I'd probably lift my toes to lock my feet in the straps. I don't, so I don't. If anything, my feet get jammed ever more tightly into the front strap in a hard-charging reach, especially in jumps.

Change something ... different straps, tighter or looser, wider or narrower strap screw spacing, booties ... whatever it takes to move or remove the cause so it can heal. I like wider straps, wider from front to rear, not side to side. They spread the pressure on the top of the foot so no one spot takes the whole load. And, of course, strap padding varies widely.

I'd try ice for the first 2-3 days after sailing, then heat.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I have had a number of foot injuries throughout my sporting goods career. The first one was well covered with insurance. The foot doctor couldn't do anything except tell me that I pronate (90% of people pronate). When I first started out in the ski business this bozo dropped a shipping palette of skis on my foot. That definitely told me that sport attracts some real morons. Footstraps can be rather injurious depending on your age, prior injury history and overall activity as a windsurfer. Then again, ski boots and ice skates are rather hard on your ankles. Your big toe can often look like it's been through a meat grinder in any of these sports. Most ski racers loose their big toe nail every year. I only skied once last winter with downhill boots so I can't blame the fact that I lost my left foot big toe nail on skiing. It's partially recovered now, but I blame it on wetsuits. I have found it his much harder to get into the straps on the boards where they are out on the rails with a heavy wetsuit on. It's not a walk in the park with board shorts, but it is easier and often one avoids jammed big toes. So, as to the topic of discussion, you should just chalk your difficulties up to experience as the dispatcher told me when I was robbed at knife point as a cab driver.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb has the right idea. Change your strap adjustment, or you will continue to lift up with your toes. Next season you can try to change them back, if you like.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill tighten them up and see if it helps, I lift the toes in the front strap to keep upwind, but im working on not doing it and steering more with the back foot. I dont think its so much a technique thing though since I do the same thing with the left foot and have no issues.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
Ill tighten them up and see if it helps, I lift the toes in the front strap to keep upwind, but im working on not doing it and steering more with the back foot. I dont think its so much a technique thing though since I do the same thing with the left foot and have no issues.

I just use my back foot. Just ease the pressure on your front foot
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when driving upwind I'm hanging heavy into the harness (to load the nose to lengthen the waterline, I presume) so my front foot is just along for the ride and its strap is primarily a place to put it. My back leg is fairly straight, being driven upwind by the fin, or so it feels. I add a heel ramp to most of my boards just for the purpose of giving that back foot a positive stop when blasting upwind in rough water, which I do very often.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
Yeah, when driving upwind I'm hanging heavy into the harness (to load the nose to lengthen the waterline, I presume) so my front foot is just along for the ride and its strap is primarily a place to put it. My back leg is fairly straight, being driven upwind by the fin, or so it feels. I add a heel ramp to most of my boards just for the purpose of giving that back foot a positive stop when blasting upwind in rough water, which I do very often.

When I point my toes/weight the harness/sheet in/turn forward etc it tends to turn the board downwind so I have been steering back upwind with my front foot to keep it balanced. I tried a cascade with the rear foot ramp and really liked it, where can you get those? Maybe that would help keep my back foot solid so that I can steer with it and let my front foot point more.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, when planing to go upwind, better to raise your heels and lift the windward rail, so the wind gets under the rail and lifts the board.
Try not to rail down the windward rail, as that just causes you to lose speed.
One key factor is the correct length fin. A longer fin will naturally raise the windward rail to get air under it, so you can go upwind higher by raking the sail back more.
Might not work on a tri fin poly glass board, but for anything else, it should.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: