myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How Much Wind do I Need?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetman624

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: How Much Wind do I Need? Reply with quote

I tried wind surfing for the first time in Kauai a few weeks ago, loved it, and am debating on getting a rig for my local beaches. I live in south Orange County, CA just a few miles up the 133 from Laguna Beach.

I have been checking weather reports pretty regularly trying to get a feel for how windy it is down there (I never really paid attention before)-- so what should I be looking for as a mark for a "good sailing day"?

Thanks.
cptn_picard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jetman624,

Welcome to windsurfing! Unfortunately, late fall and winter in the LA/OC area doesn't bring much in the way of wind (except storm and clearing winds which are not conducive to learning). As a beginner you can, and should, go out in light winds (~10 mph) to learn board control and sail handling. I strongly recommend a few lessons to get you going and familiarize yourself with our local sailing spots.

Many So Cal sailors start in Alamitos Bay in Long Beach. You can do a forum search and will find lots of info on it.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should windsurf every day there is the slighest breeze, until it get's boring. Then, wait for days with more wind. Whitecaps start in the ocean in as little breeze as 6 mph, while bays show whitecaps around 8 mph. All that is more than enough for your first 20 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: