myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody think Cabrillo will blow Saturday?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
KevinDo: By "accurate" I'm assuming you're implying the previous sensor was not? Where exactly would you put one?

Here's the thing-- I know Jim Martin well, and I helped him set up the current Leo sensor. You need power & data to have a sensor, and that limits where it can go. Virtually every iWindsurf sensor has to be learned, that is learn how to tell the difference between where the sensor is and where you'll be sailing. Jim told me once that he could have a sensor on a buoy right where people sail and they would STILL complain it was off! He was proven correct recently when someone told me they thought the Marker 14 sensor up in the Delta was off, and it's on a short tower in the middle of the river, you can jibe around it!

Wind speed = sensor RPM = data, the sensors don't lie. It might be possible with today's technology to put a wireless solar-powered sensor right where you're going to sail, I'm not sure, but the marine enviroment is hell on electronics so it probably wouldn't work long. Besides, what are you going to mount it to?

I won't lie but I have no knowledge on sensors. Must admit I was just unhappy sometimes the meter would read high winds but I get there and it's calm. Used to drive from Pendleton each time and that wasn't a pleasant feeling getting there and finding it was calm unlike what WindAlert would report. I eventually did learn that the lull was the best indicator. Silly me lol. Don't get me wrong though, I do appreciate what Jim does! Now we should all get together and get the lifeguards to put up another tower so WeatherFlow can get a station going!
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years, I have unlimited hang time at the windsurfng sites. You'll be amazed the number of sailors who miss the wind, arriving 10 minutes too late to see only reflection glass, when 1/2 an hour previously, guys were jumping on 5.0's and 85 liter boards.
I'd say, at Berkeley where I mostly hang, the number of skunked would be over at least 6 a day, any day the wind blows. Now 20 windsurfers getting wind, 6 skunked, and you can see what's happenning.
Winds change.
Nobody's timing is perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: