myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fun factor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
bred2shred wrote:
visually recognize lulls/puffs/shifts in ways that many high wind only sailors don't.

We don't have to. Strong winds, and Gorge winds in particular, are so steady that fluctuations don't affect our sailing ...

What a crock of BS. No venue on earth has wind so steady that the ability to visually recognize changes in windspeed isn't beneficial. And a change in windspeed from 25 to 35mph can have just as much impact on the sailor as a change from 5 to 15 mph. Just because you may not be proficient at a skill does not minimize it's value.

sm
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dink someone was being facetious here.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike was kidding, it's way gusty in the Gorge, especially this year, and
as you point out, it's handy to be able to read the wind on the water.

-Craig

bred2shred wrote:
isobars wrote:
bred2shred wrote:
visually recognize lulls/puffs/shifts in ways that many high wind only sailors don't.

We don't have to. Strong winds, and Gorge winds in particular, are so steady that fluctuations don't affect our sailing ...

What a crock of BS. No venue on earth has wind so steady that the ability to visually recognize changes in windspeed isn't beneficial. And a change in windspeed from 25 to 35mph can have just as much impact on the sailor as a change from 5 to 15 mph. Just because you may not be proficient at a skill does not minimize it's value.

sm
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the Gorge got to do with the core topic of discussion here? Absolutely nothing. Leave it to isobars to introduce his "me" and the "Gorge" thing into the conversation.

What I think is the root of the discussion here is about how to best solve a problem with very light and sometimes undependable wind conditions. There's the longboard, very big freeride and formula concepts at the heart of things, to include the most suitable sail size and design to best deal with things. Frankly, there has been a great discussion that reflects many viable paths, and the idea of spending more rewarding time on the water.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
For formula one would want consistent light to moderate winds and generally smooth ocean conditions.
Would you agree with this coach?

I agree, but that is not saying FW can't be easily sailed in choppy water.

Coachg
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can agree it's POSSIBLE to sail any board in any kind of water.
I've seen Formula out in gusts to 43 mph, not sailible for me at 150 lbs. with a 3.5 and 64 liter wave board.
I've seen guys try to sail their brand new 70 liter wave boards with a 5.3 sail in breeze of 5-12 mph, just to get it wet.
I've sailed a BicDufour Wing copy, an Alto with a 6 meter sail, in gusts over 30 on my 4th day of windsurfing.
We can do many stupid things, and live to tell the story.
For now, I'll pass on Formula. Or wait till the g/f get's totally hooked on Formula, buys a board, sail, mast, and boom (I already bought her a DebR-13M 60), really goes 4 days a week (she currentlly sails 6), and I'll ask her to finance my windsurf by cheap notions.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
What's the Gorge got to do with the core topic of discussion here? Absolutely nothing. Leave it to isobars to introduce his "me" and the "Gorge" thing into the conversation.

thread_jack_254.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.9 KB
 Viewed:  8752 Time(s)

thread_jack_254.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who's acting more childlike ... those who deliberately delete "unless, of course, one counts those audible, tactile, frequent, instantaneous, square wave, 10:1 power spikes and holes commonly encountered near a shoreline, or when/where the wind doesn't line up with the river, or when it just dang well wants to be gusty, slamming experts into their equipment and dislocating shoulders and breaking ribs" or those who claim my post was about the Gorge rather than about gusts.

Iddyuts, plain and simple.
NickB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One only has to go back through the few pages to spot the "iddyut" troll, to start with the absolutely moronic PWC comment in a light-wind windsurfing thread.

OP> fwiw, I dislike slogging too and wanted to get more fun days than my 135L freeride board allowed, so this season I added a longboard/hybrid (SB Phantom 320) and have been having tons of fun in planing and sub-planing (gliding, not slogging) conditions. Are you familiar with long boards at all, ever sailed displacement-style, daggerboard down? if not you might also want to give it a try as another low-wind alternative. Not the very low planing threshold of a Formula (which might be passing you at 24mph when you're gliding at 12 mph), but definitely a different feeling worth experiencing before investing in a new board, a different kind of windsurfing that one may call sailboarding...
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
As for "physical"....
It depends on your conditioning and the conditions for the equipement you sail in.
Either can kick your butt, when something is not aligned.
Either can be a walk n the park, when everything is dialed.

That's absolutely correct. FW can rip you apart when the stuff isn't tuned properly and can amaze with it's lightness and point/shoot mode when tuning is perfect.

As for Mr. Swift's comment about sail sizing and wind speed he knows not of what he speaks. Way back in the early days of FW I regularly sailed my 9.3 in winds above 25 when the water was pretty flat. Gear is so much better these days that one can sail huge sails in big swell and chop without getting too out of shape.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: