myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fun factor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
I'm not sure why formula's have divided sailors so much.

Probably because it's so extremely different-looking than any other windsurfing gear on the planet, especially back when Formula first appeared. I'll never forget laughing out loud at this damn-near circular board bag lying on the floor in Jim Ballantine's Hood River Sail World. I was certain it was a joke, and still thought it was in jest as he (or his subsequent shop manager; it was to long ago to remember) showed me the board it was made for. It took him a minute to persuade me that it was actually intended for something similar to windsurfing, but when he showed me its fin I KNEW he was pulling my leg. Twice since that day in the '90s, I've seen Formula boards actually on the water, so I'm finally convinced in person that he was serious. But Formula gear still strikes guys to whom 90 liters and 23 inches is a big board as a sailboat that happens to have an articulated mast base.

It's nothing personal; it's just a matter of perspective.

Last edited by isobars on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
NickB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes very nice to see a formula board used in such casual ways. Reminds me of the redwood city harbor video recently. I should try one next season. I'm just a little worried, in the SF bay even in marginal <15 winds the chop is much much bigger than on your videos > heel-catches/catapults?

Also, on your second video in the most marginal wind, you could probably use the top clew grommet for more sail power and a tighter leech.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
But Formula gear still strikes guys to whom 90 liters and 23 inches is a big board as a sailboat that happens to have an articulated mast base.

Unfortunately, most inland sailors aren't so lucky to get as many 90L days.
Formula's can really help with a busy schedule, family duties, and wind tantrums. I have seen many many windsurfers turn out beautiful sessions because of the lack of wind while it was perfectly planable on formula gear.

NickB wrote:
the chop is much much bigger than on your videos

The chop is quite large at McConaughy on the 7.0 video, but the camera makes it look so small because of the fish eye effect. Some rollers can reach 3-4' even in this little wind. I tried to jump one at some point of the video, yeah, won't be doing that again soon Very Happy It's just so hard to clear the fin!

NickB wrote:
heel-catches/catapults?

That's never been a concern, when the heels catch they create drag and make the board slow down but not enough to actually cause a catapult. I don't go really deep downwind on the formula gear and don't remember being catapulted with it.

NickB wrote:
Also, on your second video in the most marginal wind, you could probably use the top clew grommet for more sail power and a tighter leech.

Agreed, except that we never know what's gonna happen in Colorado, because it's such a large sail for me, I generally get it really tight and only play with the outhaul. I've been able to handle gusts in the mid 20's with the Formula + 9.2, that's the most I can do.
NickB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks for the feedback.
btw, this is the redwood city video I was talking about, in case you're interested: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25510
cheers!
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video Nick! I'm beginning to think I might like one of these things. Looks pretty fast in little wind. How strong was the wind?
NickB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you'd have to ask user "sailwave". I don't know him, just browsed and remembered his video.

I have no experience with formula (my personal light wind vessel, as of this season, is a 2012 Starboard Phantom 320), but that sailwave video, and manuel's, are tempting me into trying next season.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
isobars wrote:
But Formula gear still strikes guys to whom 90 liters and 23 inches is a big board as a sailboat that happens to have an articulated mast base.

Formula's can really help with a busy schedule, family duties, and wind tantrums. I have seen many many windsurfers turn out beautiful sessions because of the lack of wind while it was perfectly planable on formula gear.

Nobody's disputing that.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
manuel wrote:
isobars wrote:

Nobody's disputing that.
So, you can understand what >>turn out << means in this context, Isobars? I can't.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crank out".
"Put in".
"Snag".
"Catch".
"Get".
"Enjoy".
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
isobars wrote:
manuel wrote:
isobars wrote:

Formula's can really help with a busy schedule, family duties, and wind tantrums. I have seen many many windsurfers turn down beautiful sessions because of the lack of wind while it was perfectly planable on formula gear.

Nobody's disputing that.
So, you can understand what >>turn out << means in this context, Isobars? I can't.

Fixed... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: