myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fun factor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep your head in the sand long enough, you will think there is no difference in Formula boars between '01 and '12.
And cars from those vintages still have 4 tires on the ground, and some device called a door to enter.
OTOH, those in the know, those who don't stick their heads in the sand, will know the differences are quite big, and know the differences are an advancement of some kind, in some direction, for somebody.
Try taking a '04 Formula board downwind in chop. Now try it with a '12, or newer, and come back. If you cannot tell the difference, you know absolutely nothing about Formula.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I'm not sure of the point you're making Speedy?SNIP

Neither does he.

speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb, there's no argument about differences, but there is one about important differences that might be constituted improvements worthy of the high price tag associated with new gear. Your the board salesman, though, so you and Dannie Boy can have the floor.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
Zirtaeb, there's no argument about differences, but there is one about important differences that might be constituted improvements worthy of the high price tag associated with new gear. Your the board salesman, though, so you and Dannie Boy can have the floor.

"...that might be constituted improvements worthy of..."

Sorry, big guy. But what are you trying to say here?

"Your the board salesman, though, so...."

Brucie, when you attended Dartmouth College, did you learn the difference between "your" and "you're"?
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I"m the board salesman.....
In my van, my boards... 1. 1998 Zlab course slalom 72. 2. 2000 NaishFreeride 58cm with the nose cut off. 3. 20004 JPFSW84.
My "new" boards.
Newest sail in there might be a 1997 Koa 6.5, 1994 GaastraMX3 6.0, 2001 Retro 5.5, 1996 Interface5.0, 1997NorthZeta 4.7.....
Just all that new gear makes my van shine, doesn't it?
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why formula's have divided sailors so much.

I was looking for a board to plane in 10mph winds when I was learning. I couldn't get on a plane with a big 7.5 and old 283 techno so I started looking for a 9.x sail and big board. I ran across a formula at a swap and jumped on it.

On my first session I couldn't fight the 70cm fin off and looked online. Experienced riders advised me to go down, way down with the fin, I did. I put a 60cm for my 9.0 (now 9.2) and it worked like a charm. I use a 50cm with a 7.0 on those off and on days where I can blast on flat waters and it's really fun.

Here is an example with the 7.0 (from 2:40 on); I used both a waist and a seat harness that day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE4-zcoU-IE#t=2m40s

And another with the 9.2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP3X-ql0XaA

I've had great long sessions on it. Unless one has a flexible schedule or lots of free time, I believe Formula's can really increase the number of sessions of a rider. They can be physical when overpowered but the smaller fin helps tremendously. The one thing I don't like is that I can't "surf" waves moving my body forward, but that's probably true out of most boards with two rear footstraps...

I always thought it jibes well???

I can even make it do some small jumps.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that much wind, maybe 13-19, most guys can make a 100 liter board work and pass the Formula every time, when F is on a 7.5 sail.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not hi-jacking the thread, Lee, and subjecting us to your arrogance. We all know you can name-drop and once were a "contender". The title refers to "Fun Factor" not racing edge. Manuel, thanks for the contribution, don't mind the negative comments.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel, great shots of the maneuverability and fun FW boards offer with smaller fins and sails.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
In that much wind, maybe 13-19, most guys can make a 100 liter board work and pass the Formula every time, when F is on a 7.5 sail.

That is interesting because that day, I couldn't go with my 105 / 7.0. I would occasionally get a semi-ride but couldn't keep on a plane and had difficulties taking off. While on the Formula it was fully blasting. The wind was so steady, pretty much stuck at 13-15 with occasional gusts to 18mph (small), and I feel like I needed a touch more to go on the 105.

speedysailor wrote:
Manuel, thanks for the contribution, don't mind the negative comments.

Not at all, the formula helped me get way more rides than any other board could have done in light winds, developing my skills and understanding planing technique.

speedysailor wrote:
Manuel, great shots of the maneuverability and fun FW boards offer with smaller fins and sails.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: