myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fun factor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend Formula gear who hasn't tried it?
The sensation is totally different, almost like kiting to windsurfing.
Most formula sailors can barely ride 58 cm slalom boards, taking at least 30 jibes to feel comfortable. OK, some young guys who sail 120+ days a year can make the switch pretty easily.
Do you get 120+ sailing days a year?
You just don't jump from a 120 liter freeride board with a 7.5 and sail away on a Formula board. It's a whole complicated adaptation process, one you start well in advance of your first ride.
Why IS it so different? Well, booms higher by an average of about 8-10" for one thing. Track position forward by at least 4" over a freeride board.
Width of straps easily 2" wider. Boom about 9lbs now. Sail around 14.
Now I"m not saying to poo poo Formula, but this thread was about FUN factor, not whether it planes in lighter winds...it does.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, Op says. "Winds here are light, gusty, and prone to dying and shifting direction"
Formula just lowers the threshold wind speed for planing but if it drops below 9 knots or so he's slogging and I would guess that the only thing worse for slogging than a sinker would be a formula.
Formula sounds great for CONSISTENT light winds.
Formula seems to have a rather narrow range, enough wind but not too much or you get beat to death.
I think he needs the best schlogging board available, a long board.
And a larger lightweight non-cambered sail.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaglebuddy, you have hit the nail on the head! Just today I was out sailing with my 107 L Starboard Kombat with a 7.5 in gusty winds, sometimes a bit overpowered, but not to an extreme. Suddenly the wind dropped to 5-10, with some dead spots with almost no wind, I managed to limp back home ok. Long boards definately do sail much better in very light wind, and can also handle a lot of wind if it suddenly kicks in.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best affordable long board out is the Exocet Windsup, I have one and it's so easy and fun to sail.
If money is an issue maybe you can find an old race longboard for under $500, there were many types made and lot's still around.
I don't think you can get around needing a bigger sail however, and you'll probably need a 490 mast.
A Hotsails Maui 9M Superfreak ultralight is the lightest, stretchiest (gust absorbing) 9M sail available, rigs on a 490 with I think 230 something outhaul so maybe your current boom would work.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaglebuddy,

While you make a great argument in favor of a long board for Paul's sailing location which I will not argue against, these comments lead me to believe you know absolutely nothing about sailing a formula board.

beaglebuddy wrote:
I would guess that the only thing worse for slogging than a sinker would be a formula.

Formula seems to have a rather narrow range, enough wind but not too much or you get beat to death.

Both of these statements are absolutely wrong. It's great that you keep pumping up long boads, but at least put one hour on a FW board before you start telling people what a FW can and can't do.

Coachg
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Berkeley, land of light winds, Formula with sails 9-11 seem best for 13-28 mph winds. Some of the better guys can handle more, but don't go out if it's averaging 26+ when they show up. They wait for lesser wind.
Even the 200lb'ers on a 9 at gusts of 28 are right at the max limit for any kind of control or fun. It can be done, but only to make it back to shore.
Formula, coupled with one slalom board and one bump board should cover down to 3.5 condition, starting at around 12 mph for little guys or great pumpers.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Beaglebuddy,

, these comments lead me to believe you know absolutely nothing about sailing a formula board.

Coachg

You are very correct! I only know about formula what I have read and seen, never been on one.
So set me straight, is a formula a good board for sub-planing? It seems to me the shape would just push a lot of water off the wide bow while schlogging along.
I have a Starboard free formula 198L and it gets up on a plane quicker than the longboard but if that threshold is not met schlogging it is no fun and I would rather be on the windsup longboard on and off the plane.
As for higher winds on a formula, I think most people would prefer to be on smaller boards.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaglebuddy,
The only board that is good for sub-planing would be the Serenity with traditional long boards following suit. While a FW is not an ideal shape for schlogging, it is 160 liters. Schlogging a FW takes no energy; I could do it all day. I just won’t break any speed records and no, it won’t be fun. But schlogging a sinker takes quite a bit of energy, far more than schlogging a FW board.

Yes, most people would rather be on a smaller setup in high winds, and I am one of those people. But for planing range the FW is huge compared to any other board. That is why FW is the choice for racing. Winds 10-15? Set a beam reaching course. 15-20? Up wind down wind using the same sail as 10-15 mph. Higher wind, rig down to an 7.5-8.5 sail and keep going.
Again, not knocking long boards, just want to post correct information on FW.

Coachg
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my words a bit jumbled around there, what I meant to say was the worst board for sclogging would be a sinker followed by a formula.
A formula board is a planing machine, correct?
But if you don't have that minimum threshold for planing then you are really buggered on a formula.
The OP has winds that are inconsistent, gusty and sometimes diminish rapidly.
For formula one would want consistent light to moderate winds and generally smooth ocean conditions.
Would you agree with this coach?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FW boards, and some really wide slalom boards, have the ability to sail really close to the wind and really far away too. anyone can do the same with smaller gear,IF there's tons of wind. once one becomes familiar with FW stuff, one may be able to use those skills for higher wind gear/situations. beam reaching FW stuff in lotsa wind is a formula for seriously sketchy rides.

the OP wants to get more out of less money? get a used FW or larger boards like the ones i've shown on those links.

agreed with dan w. the racy starboards are very good. for that kinda money, one may wish to get the Warp Slalom 78. that's a board that performs as nicely with a bit of a price break.

CT is within striking distance of matunick. if that's feasible, i'd go for the windSUP 11'8 board. one would need nearly zero wind to get skunked with a board like that for a road trip to a world class break.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: