myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fun factor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I don't doubt that sailing one can be alot of fun, the thought of being able to blast around in flat water in light winds is what is tempting me here, but I am also wondering if I really need to go this route. It's very expensive! I would need a board, large sail, bigger than the 7.5 I already have, I'm thinking a 9.0, which would require longer booms, and mast, esentially everything! I weigh 145-150, so maybe I don't need so much volume, something around 135 X 80cm. might get me out more often. Perhaps something as small as 125X 75. Thanks again for any recomendations.

Isobars, what is PWC?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 pump to plane with a really slippery board at your weight may be all you need. 9.0 and it would assure you nearly triple the dayz on the water.

watch out for concave shapes that carry too far aft. they do sail smooth, but need tons more wind to plane off. the bottom shape that helps the board hug the water when lit up, resists pumping efforts.

http://www.progressivesports.com/windsurfing-boards-freeride.php

sting 124 or 134

warp S 76 damn that's a deal!

plane with pumping super early, turn very nicely. sting boards come with a high strung carbon fin that helps with early planing. if one gets challenged of their performance in higher winds, simply change down fins to slightly smaller and a bit stiffer.

molded fin in the Warp S's are amazingly good.

http://www.progressivesports.com/windsurfing-boards-race.php

2010 Exocet Warp SL 78 PRO 129 worth every penny. the honeycomb edition was utterly flawless, but even more $$$$$

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Formula fun factor Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
As I have said before, I'm advocating the Angulo Sumo 150 Ltr board.
I have one, and I ride it with a 9.5 in 10MPH winds on a full plane, plus
it will turn better than a formula board, and be more pleasant on a
beam reach. I weigh 180 lbs and am 6’3”.

-Craig
A formula board is no comparison to an Angulo Sumo. In addition I'm always sceptical of what windsurfers state is the wind speed after Waquoit Bay has been invaded by the I-windsurfer subscriber set lately. I have never met so many guys who have no scientific background or understanding of the wind but are affirmatively set in what they think of the wind. Nevertheless, a Formula board will get up on a plane a lot quicker than a Sumo. I own both kinds of boards. I've had great blasting fun with my Sumo125 and a 9.6 Loft Sail, but the wind was steady and blowing at 16 m.p.h. according to my windtronics. The Formula board gybes easier, rides upwind better and takes a broad reach without a feeling of being totally overpowered. My only trouble with mine would be the back straps are just too far out on the rail for my abilities. Now dinky slinky, you definitely remind me of so many recreational sailors who rig small and talk big. If you can't afford it, why do you waste our time? Besides, I only paid $500 for my Exocet.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Isobars, what is PWC?

Personal water craft, AKA jet ski.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I think you are on the right track. You have many options with a board between 125-135 liters and you won't have to go brand new. With your weight & a 7.5 sail that will add a huge planing threshold over your 107 and add many planing days. And listen to John's advice on early planing boards. Boards that are chop eaters are just not as easy to get on a plane. Not counting my FW board I have two light wind boads, one for small lakes with flat water & the other for ligth wind open choppy waters. My FW is stricktly for racing or race training.

Coachg
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dan Weiss said.

Formula is thrilling and challenging and will exponentially increase your time on the water, but it's a big commitment, especially if you want to race. I blogged about the formula paradox a while ago...

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2007/08/its-lonely-at-pinnacle-of-cool.html

Used formula stuff is actually pretty reasonably priced, and I reckon you'd be happy with a used formula board and 9 - 10 meter freerace sail, which would get you planing in about 10 knots.

I'd also like to add that there is a full spectrum of board choices between your Kombat 107 and a full formula setup, and most of them will beat the pants off your old Techno 283, which is just 69 cm wide.

pueno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Formula fun factor Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
...so many guys who have no scientific background or understanding of the wind but are affirmatively set in what they think...

But doesn't that perfectly describe you, Brucie?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Formula fun factor Reply with quote

A 9.6 on a 125 Ltr Sumo at your weight sounds like an unbalanced
combintaion to me. I can understand why you would opt for formula.
Formula does plane earlier. My preference is my 150 ltr Sumo.
For me it turns better, and planes up plenty early for my 180 lbs.
At 16MPH (measured) I ride a 6.7 sail and a 95 Ltr board. I can plane
out of a jibe on a formula board, but it's a lot more fun planing out of a
jibe on my 150 ltr Sumo.

Guess I'm more in the Lee D mind set than the Bruce Swift mind set.

-Craig

speedysailor wrote:

A formula board is no comparison to an Angulo Sumo. In addition I'm always sceptical of what windsurfers state is the wind speed after Waquoit Bay has been invaded by the I-windsurfer subscriber set lately. I have never met so many guys who have no scientific background or understanding of the wind but are affirmatively set in what they think of the wind. Nevertheless, a Formula board will get up on a plane a lot quicker than a Sumo. I own both kinds of boards. I've had great blasting fun with my Sumo125 and a 9.6 Loft Sail, but the wind was steady and blowing at 16 m.p.h. according to my windtronics. The Formula board gybes easier, rides upwind better and takes a broad reach without a feeling of being totally overpowered. My only trouble with mine would be the back straps are just too far out on the rail for my abilities. Now dinky slinky, you definitely remind me of so many recreational sailors who rig small and talk big. If you can't afford it, why do you waste our time? Besides, I only paid $500 for my Exocet.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Formula fun factor Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I'm more in the Lee D mind set than the Bruce Swift mind set

Well, SURE; It's far too crowded in Brucie's mind.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:

Formula is thrilling and challenging and will exponentially increase your time on the water, but it's a big commitment.

I agree. Nothing beats Formula gear for light wind sailing. If I still lived inland, I'm sure Formula gear would still be my most used equipment. It takes some getting used to sailing this gear, but as you progress, you will be able to go 2 or more times the true windspeed in light wind and in many cases, you will be doing this over less than 1 foot of chop. So it is a very unique and exciting windsurfing experience. Jibing the boards is no big deal, in fact, it is much easier to plane through your jibes on a formula board than on just about any other type of board because they "coast" unbelievably well. They are, however, generally limited to wide jibes.

If you're an advanced sailor and live in a light wind area, I would highly recommend getting formula gear.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: