myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jump board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a board shaper or mfr provided a fin for our magazine tests, we used theirs. It wasn't our job or objective to try to improve on the equipment as provided to customers; we just tuned everything according to their recommendations, tweaked the tuning if it improved their performance, rode 'em, and wrote 'em up. Our testers across the board reached the same conclusion as the world's top sailors did in WSMag's article on the genre: The no-nose fad of the early '90s was significantly overdone, with many weathervaning very excessively. This one stood out; I forget which simply because the names are so similar; if they had called it the Pickle-Forked Stealth, I'd never forget it. (Speaking of which ... )

Our Chief Tester once asked a very good, competitive, multiple-style, recreational sailor why he liked the no-noses. "Because their twitchiness makes them feel like I'm going to lose control any second", he said. "But do they perform better?", I asked. "No. They're just twitchy."

My assessment exactly ... along with eight of the biggest names in windsurfing in WSMag. Be leery of those mid-90s no-noses.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your case as blind faith, lazy, don't care attitude.
Companies provide the fin they work best for WHO? 115 lbs test rider? 220 lbs test rider? Guy who could barely plane on anything? Pro level AntoineAlbeau?
If you're heavy, you need more fin. If you're skilled and heavy, you know the "average" is not right for you.
If you're light, you need less fin. If you're unskilled and light, you need more fin.
I still ride a '94 RoqueWave, both 8'8" and 9'2"ers. They're as fast and easy to jibe as anything today, powered up in the right wind.
The nose nose cocept of the mid '90's was the predessor that ALLOWED the short fat boards of today. You don't need 70's of rail in the water to go fast, in fact, shortening the wetted line is one of the keys to going fast.
If you're 200lbs., you should not be slogging a 100 liter slalom board. That board is designed for powered up sailing only.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Boy, my diction is atrocious.
70" of wetted rail.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
9' RichardGreenes are the easiest riding, smoothest riding slalom boards of the late '90's. A real sweeheart, just right for extending your confidence and allowing you to push well beyond your limits.
For speed, I'd suggest a 36 GoldWing (for 190 lbs'ers). For recovery on jump landings, maybe a 30 cm pointer with more surface area.
I've owned 3 Vivace's and rode a Veloce once. At 150 lbs., they slogged just like any other slalom board. Maybe you used too small a fin, Mike.

Someone came and snagged all the nice fins right before I got there so I have an old Larry Tuttle "classic H3", which was the best left. Ill have to wait till next season to get a nicer fin.

Im liking this one: http://mauiultrafins.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63%3Anospin-cross&catid=37%3Awindsurf-finnen&Itemid=96&lang=en
Bond1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about boards reminds me that there's a vintage Watson in what looks to be good shape sitting on the garbage pile where I'm working. It's kinda sad to see boards just tossed into the trash like this.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this will be your jump board, H-3 is almost perfect for your needs. It's almost 12", it's a thicker foil, and it was highly regarded in it's time.
Very little gain to switching to your dream fin, except possibly longer arc jibing.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I see your case as blind faith, lazy, don't care attitude.

I see it as the magazine editor's -- the boss's -- carefully considered position that:
1. Changing fins changes a board's behavior, messing with testing (some boards were tested by dozens of testers).
2. The mfrs all had the same choice whether to supply a favored fin or let us pick fins.
3. Our huge inventory of fins would influence testing beyond what most users could do.
4. It's not our job to make their boards work optimally; it's theirs.
5. The time pressures are immense; adding another variable would be impossible. We've witnessed WSMag giving each test board one reach, total, towards the end of a test season, and in a few cases we got only a couple of testers on some boards.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Since this will be your jump board, H-3 is almost perfect for your needs. It's almost 12", it's a thicker foil, and it was highly regarded in it's time.
Very little gain to switching to your dream fin, except possibly longer arc jibing.

Thats good to hear Very Happy ! Its always hard to tell with fins, they can look nearly identical and one is a winner and one belongs in the garbage... I also got a Carbonair 40cm pointer fin with it. It looks like half a broadsword, in shape and profile... Should be interesting with the 8.0.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond1 wrote:
All this talk about boards reminds me that there's a vintage Watson in what looks to be good shape sitting on the garbage pile where I'm working. It's kinda sad to see boards just tossed into the trash like this.

It should be in your garage Very Happy
Bond1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
Bond1 wrote:

It should be in your garage Very Happy

I've been a one board guy for over 20 years. And it's not the one board I want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: