myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody rode a 120liter good jiber?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I’m by no means an expert jiber. I do feel I cut through chop and jibe better with my OO’s better than my previous boards. I think if you ask any board builder they will probably disagree that a smooth entry into a jibe is ALL sailor and not board related. They’re gonna want to take some credit for that. This of course excludes the Bruce Peterson's of the windsurf world. I guess when you refer to sailing “lazy” I think of it more as control/comfort. I am still trying to figure out how to strap a lawn chair to my 180ltr board though! Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
when you refer to sailing “lazy” I think of it more as control/comfort.

Exactly. Why put a burr in our jock just because it builds character and teaches us to run bowlegged?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or my favorite "Well sure, but can you do it with an ice pick through your head?"

-Craig (easy) Goudie

isobars wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:

Exactly. Why put a burr in our jock just because it builds character and teaches us to run bowlegged?
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:

HA! Now that paints a funny picture!

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does, but I wouldn't want to be the jock, the runner, or the burr.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM an expert jiber, and can tell you guys that a person who can jibe can jibe ANY board, from 64 liter wave boards to 250 liter course racing long boards.
You jibe best on what you have practiced the most recently, IF you can jibe.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
I AM an expert jiber, and can tell you guys that a person who can jibe can jibe ANY board, from 64 liter wave boards to 250 liter course racing long boards.
You jibe best on what you have practiced the most recently, IF you can jibe.

Thanks Lee, I was beginning to think nobody got it. I'm not sure if I call myself an expert jiber, but at least pretty good. I plane through about 95% of my jibes except when I get on my 72 liter wave board. I just don't have that one down yet. But a dry jibe is a normal jibe for me.

We as consumers have been taught that if you buy "X" you will get better. And we actually believe it. I USED to believe it also. I can't tell you how many upgrades I did to bicycles when I was racing to get faster. The way to get faster is to train harder/better (or maybe take performance inhancing drugs Rolling Eyes ).

The same thing comes to windsurfing. If your gear is 10 old years or less, then the gear isn't holding you back, you are. Its time to take a lesson. OMFG what am I saying??? NOBODY does that, they would rather buy a new board, sail, or get advice here Cool
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, after you retired, before you moved to the Gorge, I told you your jibes were some of the best, you using a Skate and a tiny 5.7 when I was on a 6.5. You got me by 35 lbs., yet you planed thru jibes like it was nothing.
I had to rethink some of my gear choices.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I think, after you retired, before you moved to the Gorge, I told you your jibes were some of the best, you using a Skate and a tiny 5.7 when I was on a 6.5. You got me by 35 lbs., yet you planed thru jibes like it was nothing.
I had to rethink some of my gear choices.

I actually miss my 107 Skate. That was a sweet ride. I split it with a 100l and 115l Naish freestyle, but the skate was one of my all time favorite light wind boards. I just can't afford a $2200 board anymore (retirement has it's costs.....).

And thanks for the compliment zirtaeb Very Happy

Hmm, I may have to change my Avatar. That is not a good looking wave turn. I'm back on my board, not driving my knees forward enough and not following the sail into the turn. Then again, that was my first day on waves logo high Confused
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

I actually miss my 107 Skate. That was a sweet ride. I split it with a 100l and 115l Naish freestyle, but the skate was one of my all time favorite light wind boards. I just can't afford a $2200 board anymore (retirement has it's costs.....).

They are still sweet (I recently picked up the 99, not being retired). They are excellent examples of boards that are not for first time jibers, but once you can jibe are particularly easy to jibe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: