myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui or mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably end of october for maui, or some time in november for la ventana. I found a pretty cheap hotel in maui so the cost there isnt bad. As for mexico, ive been to the cabo and didnt like the tourist stuff at all. All I want is beach, beer and wind. I dont really want to do waves in maui, (no reefs for me), but some smaller waves in mexico would be fine. Im a gorge sailor, but have had a few trips to the oregon coast. From what ive seen here im sort of leaning towards la ventana.
bowen1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"beach,beer and wind" = La ventana.
Great place, nothing like Cabo.
pzwinakis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to both places. I found La Ventana pretty boring even though it was windy. I have been to other wavesailing spots in Mexico and wouldn't go back there either. I have been to Maui a bunch of times and while the trips there have been a more expensive vacation, if the wind doesn't blow you can do a million other things - other than drink beer.

Plus if you are just getting into wave-sailing, Maui is pretty ideal.

For me, I wouldn't even consider Mexico… If there is a significant other involved, the question is even easier to answer.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that nobody has really brought this up, FOOD.
I've been to all those places, and for me anyway, you can't find better food that's in Los Barriles or La Ventana, being partial to Mexi food, especially when you combine it with seafood,,,,,,,,,, and beer.
Los Barriles, at Buena Vista, might have the best food I've ever had anywhere.

Just thinking about the meals I've had down there makes me want to pack up right now and head down there.

Maui has some good food also, but it costs more, and it's more of what you'd expect out there, but there a few gems there if you know where to go. Lahaina and Ka'anapali, are not typically where they will be found.
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Baja is an adventure not a vacation Reply with quote

Hi mchaco1,

I think you made a good call doing both Maui and La Ventana. They are very different venues and as I say in the Baja Guide "Baja is an adventure not a vacation" while Maui is definitely a vacation. You can find my Baja Guide on iwindsurf.com or google Baja Guide.

La Ventana is a world apart from the Cabo tourist mess. La Ventana is also a world apart from Maui. So don't expect night clubs or malls or much man-made entertainment. But for the hundreds of windsurfers and kiters who enjoy adventure when the wind dies there is superb fishing, whale watching, diving with whale sharks, SUPing, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, beach walking, ATVing, dirt biking and some cool old mining towns to explore. If action like this bores you or a significant other avoid La Ventana at all costs!

La Ventana is a tiny village and just got its first gas station a few years ago. Don't expect even an ATM. Almost everything is within walking distance so a car is optional unless you stay at a B&B on the far outskirts.

The sailing is somewhat similar to the Gorge since there is big swell on windy days. If is different in that the winds are weaker but much steadier. You are sailing in big water but the beach downwind sweeps far out to sea parallel to your course so you can always make it back to land if you break down. Ask locals where the Golden Triangle is to find really big swell. There are even several easy surf breaks on bigger days but nothing like the surf of Maui.

You can get an overall feeling for the place in the videos links below. The kite video actually gives you a better visual feeling of the place but the windsurfing video captures the on the water feel. The whale video shows one type of no wind action.

http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4743675_5625356

Be aware that there is a chance of an El Nino event this winter and El Nino is NOT wind friendly for either Maui or Baja.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
Windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com

La Ventana3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  11547 Time(s)

La Ventana3.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
pzwinakis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Food should be factored in.. Actually Food Poisoning.

I have spent a lot more time in Maui than Mexico but I only got food poisoning in Mexico.. bad enough that it ruined an entire trip there.

The food is crap compared to HI unless you are eating with all the tourist from Ohio.
SAS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never been to La Ventana, so no comment there.

I've been to PSC several times, but only spring or early fall. I don't think it's too good in the later fall, but I could be wrong. If you get PSC with good conditions, it's awesome-waves, wind, and uncrowded. But if it is flat, it slow and often boring, since all you can do is hike, walk/hike, run, read, play cards or other games, drink beer or tequila, mountain bike (pretty good biking). If it has waves but no wind you can also surf or paddle board. Like others have written, to drive and camp is different from Solo sports. If you're going to camp, talk to someone experienced in how to make your campsite comfortable. You need sun and wind protection (assuming there is wind). See photo below from one trip there. We have an awning for sun, and the tarp is held on the upwind side of the van by wind only, showing how constant the wind can be. Another tarp on the front of the van would be better too. The tarp on the ground covers our sails. What you see in the pic is just enough to work, but others do a lot better. If you go with Solo, it's easy, but a lot more $.

I now live in Maui. Late Oct and early Nov can be great here, but there's no guarantee. However, Maui offers tons to do even if there's no wind or waves. We gets thousands of happy non windsurfing tourists every year. They snorkel, dive, surf, bodysurf, play tennis, golf, lay on the beach, hike, bike, run, shop, sightsee, etc. If you come here, come with the idea that if it's not good for windsurfing, you'll do other things and enjoy yourself. No whining!

DCP_1651.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.99 KB
 Viewed:  11504 Time(s)

DCP_1651.JPG

rigitrite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The food is crap compared to HI unless you are eating with all the tourist from Ohio.

Wow....after reading that, I'm glad you got sick: you probably deserved it.

nw30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Quote:

Wow....after reading that, I'm glad you got sick: you probably deserved it.

Heh, and it was probably just a local ice cube.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've never been to la Ventana or Los Barriles, it's wise to be aware of the risks of food poisoning. My father ended up with Hepatitis from eating raw oysters in Southern Baja, and my mother on another trip there ended up being hospitalized from nearly lethal food poisoning. Unfortunate stuff can happen in areas where sanitation isn't up to standards we have here in the US. I'm not suggesting a decision to nix a trip to Mexico, but rather, an outlook to be cautious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: