myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui or mexico
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Maui or mexico Reply with quote

I was looking for a plane ticket back home to phoenix...then realized that a plane ticket to maui costs the same. So I was thinking about going there....then realized that SJD costs about the same as maui and for about the same amount of money as car/hotel/gear in maui I could do the La Ventana housing/gear deal. So...anyone care to offer their opinions on which they would do?

Last edited by mchaco1 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
swmckay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Maui or mexico Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I was looking for a plane ticket back home to phoenix...then realized that a plane ticket to maui costs the same. So I was thinking about going there....then realized that SDJ costs about the same as maui and for about the same amount of money as car/hotel/gear in maui I could do the La Ventana housing/gear deal. So...anyone care to offer their opinions on which they would do?

I've sailed on Maui for seven of the last eight years (summer only,
since I can't get spring/fall times while my son is in school). This
year I also sailed San Carlos. Next year, I plan not to go to Maui
and just do San Carlos instead.

I dunno about La Ventana, except that PSC is a bit rustic Smile and
Ventana is an actual town. And that a lot of people really like Ventana
as well. So I'm not really offering a suggestion, just a "data point".

--Scott
justingordon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Maui or mexico Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I was looking for a plane ticket back home to phoenix...then realized that a plane ticket to maui costs the same. So I was thinking about going there....then realized that SJD costs about the same as maui and for about the same amount of money as car/hotel/gear in maui I could do the La Ventana housing/gear deal. So...anyone care to offer their opinions on which they would do?

When are you going? October is typically one of the best months for wind and waves, so I guess it depends on if you like waves. That being said, Maui has a ton of things to do even if the wind is not good for sailing. You pretty much can't go wrong by going to Maui in the fall. Great weather. Consistent surf. Consistent wind for windsurfing and kiting. Glassy mornings for surf. And great food, and great scenery.

Aloha,

Justin

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
zpp66

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying PSC is "a bit rustic" is like saying that the Sahara is a "bit hot." Smile
flynbri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed all 3 places pretty regularly and they all have there own charm and attributes. If you wave sail you can't beat PSC in the spring, if you're jonesing for wind and warmth in the wintertime La Ventana is awesome. If you just want to have a great time in general Maui is doable year round. My sailing buddies and I used to go to PSC several weeks a year but we have favored Maui more lately because it's less risky and we have a house there. When it's all said and done sailing in my back yard at Sunset, Huntington Beach may not have the addrenline factor but there's no place like home to put a smile on my face! Laughing
victor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on a lot of things.

If you like high wind, waves, warmth, and don't mind the cost of living, Maui is the best. Very wide selection of rental gear available, too.

If you like a short flight, mellower sailing conditions and cheap living, Baja is the place.

You might enjoy Los Barriles more than PSC or La Ventana. LB is good size town with plenty of amenities and closer to the airport. Definitely more civilized than PSC.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also sailed all three places:
1. Maui is by far the best combination of warmth, waves, wind, and variety of places to sail. Expect to pay ~$2000 for a week (airfare, gear, lodging, rental car, food)
2. PCS has the best/easiest wave to sail, but it’s cold, remote, TONS of kelp, rocky bottom, and the wind doesn’t always blow. If you drive yourself from the USA with your own gear, you could probably do a whole week for under $200 (food & gas sleep in your car/tent). If you fly in…. $2500 for a week at solo sports….and you have to sleep in a tent.
3. La Ventana is pretty great: medium warm water, awesome bump and jump, super nice people, cool bars, awesome food and Luchadors!!! I bet you could do a whole week at LV for $1200. You will have to either rent a car or get a ride from Cabo to LV. Rides can be expensive….like $100 each way.

drblanke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice overview by rigitrite BTW.

Airfare to Maui right now is about as cheap as it gets. But beware, the main expense is finding a place to sleep.

IMO, the sailing season in La Ventana doesn't really overlap Maui, unless you are after big waves and don't mind light wind and a bit of rain. If you are going Dec-Feb I would go to La Ventana, otherwise Maui.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Process of elimination.
WHAT TIME OF YEAR ???
Now, Oct., best chance Maui, 2nd PSC, no chance LaVentana/LosBarriles.
Nov, it's almost even, but no chance PSC.
Dec., Baja is favored for more days, Maui has 3 days a week possibilities, no chance PSC
Baja is bay sailing, wind swells, NO wave riding. LaVentana is NOT wave riding.
Maui is wave and bump n jump, slalom and Formula, but windy days from Nov thru March might average 3 days a week....and a good chance of skungage for one week.
Can you wave sail?
Do you need to wave sail?
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably end of october for maui, or some time in november for la ventana. I found a pretty cheap hotel in maui so the cost there isnt bad. As for mexico, ive been to the cabo and didnt like the tourist stuff at all. All I want is beach, beer and wind. I dont really want to do waves in maui, (no reefs for me), but some smaller waves in mexico would be fine. Im a gorge sailor, but have had a few trips to the oregon coast. From what ive seen here im sort of leaning towards la ventana.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: