myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ear plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Ear plugs Reply with quote

I was looking for some earplugs in anticipation of some higher jumps and loops, one thing led to another and I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfer%27s_ear

Im surprised no one talks about this,seems like an issue in the northwest. Im definitely ordering some plugs now
wmike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have surfers ear and one friend has had surgery on both ears. You can get Doc's ear plugs at the Kayak shop in Hood River. They have some ear sizing samples there for sizing. Some Doc's have a very small hole in them for better hearing. I have also used the big wax type that block out all water and most noise. My ENT has recommended ear plugs even in Maui's warm water. But I m currently not using any since they are uncomfortable for me. But I better start using them since I bought them.

If you are jumping without a helmet with ear covers you new ear plug that will not get slammed into you ear drum.

I am sure you will get more advice from the other windsurfing elders. Smile
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these
http://www.amazon.com/Zoggs-300659-Aqua-Plugz/dp/B001C3EC12/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1348808104&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=zoogs+ear
they look pretty safe from being force in, and they allow sound to come through which is perfect
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those should indeed be safe, and we don't need much sound reduction even with noisy helmets. I didn't like Doc's Proplugs ... too hard and intrusive. With a full helmet there's almost no risk of jamming any plug in too far, so I use the Christmas tree type from Walmart and insert it very loosely just to dull the helmet's roar. Another type I like is a simple waxy plastic wad of "chewing gum" that molds to the outer ear and is reusable several times.

My only functioning ear is 50% plugged by surfer's ear. It blocks some sound and traps water on WSing days, but the surgery is risky and very intrusive, so it will wait until the bony knot is blocking my remaining hearing.

The surest way to rupture an eardrum WSing seems to be exposing the top of your board to the wind (by dropping the windward rail) in a jump. That will quickly slam your whole body into the water on the windward side, with emphasis on the side of your head. In the single second you have to think about it, face upwards so the back, not the side, of your head hits the water.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, that is one of the most catastrophic landing incidents you can have.
The only one worse is if your head drops into your boomarms on landing, splitting your face under your nose about 4", exposing your upper gums and cheekbones.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouragement Laughing Maybe a river shark will get me or ill run into a drifting WWII mine Laughing
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1984, my second season of windsurfing, I jumped just upwind of AnitaRock in CrissyFields, and saw the white seagull dumpings at the top.
Don't know how tall AnitaRock is, or was, but I'd guess maybe 12'.
In 1983, I could standing long jump right at 9', and jump onto a 42" counter top first try, every time, at WiseSurfboards in SanFrancisco.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: