myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
luff vs boom length
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you plan to sail heavily overpowered with this sail, a race sail is not what you want. I would worry less about the luff v boom length particulars than the overall design.

DelmarEdward wrote:
my suspicion was that it would be the shorter aspect sail would give more lift, if only with deeper camber(less outhaul).

I have looked through previous years on the Sailworks site, and boom lengths have gotten shorter.

There were some blurbs on the Maui Sails forum about this topic in connection with North Sails race sails, and it seemed to me the gist of it was that at least those lower aspect race sails weren't well liked.

I guess the reason I'm asking is i've looked at Aerotech sails, and the 2 cam RapidFire in the 11 size has a longer boom length than the VMG or their 6 cam race sail. I e-mailed them and they said at least some of the difference was due to the boom cutout size, but the difference is substantial. I am thinking the Rapid Fire may plane earlier, but not have the range and top end that the race sail has, which i care less about, sailing in a low wind area. What do you think?

techno900

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for other brands, but Maui Sails, almost all of their lines have been moving to shorter masts and longer booms.

This includes the race sails, but they are cut away at the tip/bottom of the leach so shorter booms can be used.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you dump your money for a "half" cambered sail please read this article: http://www.point-7.com/downloads/tests/Boards-June2011.pdf
It absolutely reflects my own dissapointing experience with 2 and 3 cambered sails from different brands. Long story short ,I'm replacing my quiver with RAFs and so far I'm very happy . I plane earlier , jibe smoother, go faster and when I start getting overpowered, I just switch to a smaller rig and board instead of playng a hero like before beeing on a 2 sizes bigger sail then everybody else and destroying my limbs in the process.
If you race -go for the real race ones, if not -choose the light, fun stuff...is my new philosophy Smile
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice article adywind. Ive thought about a comparing a Retro 9.5 vs my NX 9.9.

Maybe I can pick one up used.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure low end favors long booms.
Pure top end favors shorter booms so the draft stays locked in place.
Some sails have long booms with good low end and good high end, like NP Race sails.
The manufacturers are torn between shorter booms for a light feel, and longer booms for earlier planing.
Nobody knows for sure.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most race sails in the 9,5 range are designed to go fast and go upwind when overpowered. Usually freeride sails have more power. Longer booms = more draft = more power.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, freeride sails usually have more power than race sails for early planing because they are lighter in weight, the draft is not as locked to the front, with the battens being softer and the sail not quite as seam shaped.
But for direct luffl lengths vs low or top end, it's still up in the air and different manufacterers are different thru the years.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelmarEdward wrote:
What do you think?

I think you've just changed questions. Your original question stated "everything but aspect ratio being equal". Changing brands and models and features and technologies changes everything. It sounds like your question should have been something like "What sail brand and model will get me planing earliest for a given number of square meters?"

Last edited by isobars on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original question was longer luff or boom length preference

the discussion now involves cams and race VS non cammed sails, low end, top end early planing et all

so will now evolve into a personal sail preference

too bad

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think we should read original question again.
Longer boom makes sense for low end in the sense more power is in your hands to deal with.
Taller sail makes sense in that more wind is up top, but sails are twisted off up top nowadaze.
So, taller masts and longer booms makes the most sense for early planing in light winds and light conditions for the sail you picked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: