myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hamptons area launches?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windrockwater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Hamptons area launches? Reply with quote

I will be in the Hamptons area on Long Island this weekend and would love to find a place to launch and windsurf (and park my car without getting towed or a ticket). Can people recommend a few locations that I can park and put my windsurfer in?

If I remember correctly there was a launch and people windsurfing off of the end of LAZY POINT ROAD in Napeague but really am not sure.

Any advice?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hamptons area launches? Reply with quote

First of all, check out the Long Island Windsurfing Map, which lists just about every place anyone windsurfs from out east:

http://peconicpuffin.typepad.com/the_peconic_puffin/2006/12/windsurfing_pec.html

Napeague @ Lazy Point is excellent for southerlies and NE wind. I believe the parking pass requirement ended as of Labor Day, but even when it's in effect, the move is to unload at the beach, and then drive your car down the road about 150 yards and park "behind the sign" (you'll see it.) I think the requirement for a sticker ended two weeks ago, though.

If you're coming from the city, closer spots include Cold Spring (deep water bump sailing, good SW, W, NW, N, NE, and just a mile from Hampton Watersports), Sebonac Inlet (same, best on NW and WNW and W) and Meschutt (same, best on NW and N).

Best suggestion: You're going to have to drive by the windsurfing store anyway, so stop there (there's a swap meet this Saturday btw) and ask where conditions are best right then. The current forecast is NW...I wouldn't drive all the way to Napeague for that. I'd sail Cold Spring or Meschutt or Sebonac Inlet, or (if you can't waterstart) Flying Point (bay launch) @ Mecox is shallow water.

windrockwater wrote:
I will be in the Hamptons area on Long Island this weekend and would love to find a place to launch and windsurf (and park my car without getting towed or a ticket). Can people recommend a few locations that I can park and put my windsurfer in?

If I remember correctly there was a launch and people windsurfing off of the end of LAZY POINT ROAD in Napeague but really am not sure.

Any advice?

justall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peconic -- I'm going to be in Melville in a few weeks (without my equipment). Is there an on-water rental shop mid-island or west of that? Thanks for any tips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: