myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou Rocket delam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I might go a different way next time....

My very favorite board, a wave board, is well known to be very fragile in that area, right where I land with my back foot when I jump off the deck in a jibe in rough terrain or step on the deck aggressively in a spontaneous GITERDONE jibe. There's no way I'm going to stop buying them when extra deck pads solve the problem, in addition to other advantages. There have to be compromises in light boards, and strength is one of the first things to face the chopping block.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, agree with everything said here so far, except that you're too old. HOGWASH! I had a friend who died while sailing at 81. I'm 57, and still charge pretty hard.

Secondly, I have a Tabou Rocket 115 that I bought about 4-5 years ago, and it's the "race" construction, very light. No delams anywhere, I weigh 208 and sail about 30 - 40 days a year, hard, and mostly on that board.

Tabou's a good brand, but anyone could have a problem occasionally. Maybe they had a new guy on the vacuum bag machine that day, maybe they got some bad epoxy, there's a million things that could go wrong. That's no reason to condemn the whole brand, unless there's a continuing series of multiple problems, which I haven't seen or heard of with Tabou.

KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Board bags are like steam cookers under the right conditions (wet board
inside a bag in a car roasting in the hot sun). But, I use board bags
on all my boards, and I've certainly seen less damage as a result than
I've ever gotten from overheating a board. Of the 20 odd epoxy boards
I've owned over the last ~17 years, only 1 slalom board has delamed,
and that one might have been the result of me jumping the crap out of
it. Of course, if your board has water on the inside of it, then it will
delam in very little heat, and a board bag will only exacerbate that.

-Craig

KevinDo wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:
I've got 30 years in the water, over 2,500 days on shortboards.
I have delamed over 40 boards, bought brand new.
Don't know what you've been doing.
Don't matter what company board.
Never use a board bag, don't put boards inside a car.

Why shouldn't one use a board bag?
kind of scaring me from getting a board bag now lol. I use a roof rack so should that be fine?
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board bag's good protection from dings & scratches, just don't zip it closed unless you're getting on a plane, no pun intended.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your boards are factory-dry inside (but ARE they?) and your board bags are highly reflective, roofed boards should be OK in most climates. But the primary cause of "delamed" (i.e., collapsed) decks where we step on them is probably STEPPING ON THEM. If heat were the primary cause, the damage would appear randomly on boards' surfaces, with emphasis on the darkest spots, rather than so often between the straps.

Multiple choice quiz:

1. Are heel dents under the rear pads from a) uv, b) heat, or c) heels being pounded into the hull by chop or jumping?

2. Which deck will collapse first, a) a bare one or b) one with pads on it to cushion and spread the load?

3. Do I keep emphasizing pads because a) I forget that I've mentioned it before, b) I own stock in NSI, or c) every few weeks another thread indicates that some people still don't appreciate the advantages of extra pads and I hate to see a $2,000 board get avoidable cancer due to operator error.

4. Which weighs more, a) an ounce of pads or b) four ounces of resin?

5. Which feels better underfoot, a) cushy waffle-grid EVA foam or b) carbon and epoxy coated with a square foot of 50 grit, grinding, rasp?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the help. The pads seem like a good idea after I get the board repaired. The to old statment was to bring to light how these boards have been used. If your 80 years old and have two good knees and a good back your good to go . I hope to be like that guy at lake Lopez this summer that had his 82th birthday windsurfing with his wife. I will sail untill I can't walk. Maybe no longer at the Gorge or the wave spots along the Cal. coast. I spent the last three Aprils at SPI. Everyone in the water was 80. Yes its flat and fast but its still fun to blast around with friends on a five mile reach....
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I spent the last three Aprils at SPI. Everyone in the water was 80. Yes its flat and fast but its still fun to blast around with friends on a five mile reach....

I envy that. I've never owned big enough gear to do that there then more than a few hours in the average week. As far as we knew they didn't make boards or sails that big in the '80s; we thought our 240-liter longboards and 7.5s were big.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those boards should not have delamed, and most boards
don't. I would totally understand your "going a different way"
after the experience, but you might have hit the jackpot on bad
luck with Tabous.

-Craig

p.s. Until they pry the booms from my cold dead hands ;*)

NOVAAN wrote:
Thanks guys for the help. The pads seem like a good idea after I get the board repaired. The to old statment was to bring to light how these boards have been used. If your 80 years old and have two good knees and a good back your good to go . I hope to be like that guy at lake Lopez this summer that had his 82th birthday windsurfing with his wife. I will sail untill I can't walk. Maybe no longer at the Gorge or the wave spots along the Cal. coast. I spent the last three Aprils at SPI. Everyone in the water was 80. Yes its flat and fast but its still fun to blast around with friends on a five mile reach....
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY company board can delam at the area between the straps, and in front of the front straps.
There is no company resistant to that.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tabou Rocket delam Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Hey guys,
I have two 2010 Tabou Rockets. A 115 Ltd and a 95 standard. I'm just a flat water windsurfer these days. To old for the waves and to jump. I got both boards new. Both boards have a pretty big delam in front of the back foot straps. I have over 30 years on the water on tons of different boards and this is the first time ever a board has come apart. Has anyone else had this problem with tabou. I really like the boards but if they come apart after a year or so of flat water sailing I'll shop eleswhere next time. Just a heads up....Tony

Just curious , have you contacted the store these came from or Matt Prichard the US importer ? Warranty wise it should not apply, just curious

I am on my 7th Tabou, 3 of which are Rockets, and no problems like this.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: