myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
East Coast Speed Quest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, the rules state that only data from GT-31s and GT-11s are allowed. Other GPS units like the Garmin tend to be way too prone to spikes. I have seen Garmin tracks from windsurfers who seriously believed they had hit 40 knots multiple times, when their real top speed was about 28 knots. The numbers you see on the water are almost meaningless.

The GT-31 can also have spikes, but they are much less frequent, and eliminated when you use the doppler speed. At least 9 out of 10 times, the top speed a GT-31 shows on the water is very close to the real speed (bad catapults may cause exceptions to this rule). I recently saw "open box" GT-31s for sale at Semsons for $120, but you'll need to add a waterproof armband to that ($30-45).
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm not going shopping, though...I'll just run my own little speed record pursuit. I've probably never hit 40mph in my life. 40 knots! Wow.

boardsurfr wrote:
Michael, the rules state that only data from GT-31s and GT-11s are allowed. Other GPS units like the Garmin tend to be way too prone to spikes. I have seen Garmin tracks from windsurfers who seriously believed they had hit 40 knots multiple times, when their real top speed was about 28 knots. The numbers you see on the water are almost meaningless.

The GT-31 can also have spikes, but they are much less frequent, and eliminated when you use the doppler speed. At least 9 out of 10 times, the top speed a GT-31 shows on the water is very close to the real speed (bad catapults may cause exceptions to this rule). I recently saw "open box" GT-31s for sale at Semsons for $120, but you'll need to add a waterproof armband to that ($30-45).

DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy So Michael.. how about a GPS session out on North Race?
Have you tried it? Is it as nice as it looks for flat water with big wind?
Do you have any pictures? Inquiring minds want to know. Cool

How long would it take to drive to Cape Cod from there?
If it's as good as it looks, I would do a road trip. Tomorrow (Sunday)
would probably be sweet out there.

Have fun!
Dean

fitz@qis.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Chesapeake Bay speed sites Reply with quote

Dean, Yes, we did meet in Avon one year. You were blasting some 32 knot runs on your 5.0 while I was hitting 30 knots on my 4.2 near the iWindsurf meter back of Island Creek.

We do have some possible speed sites here in Maryland, some of the guys play in the shallow waters of Assateague National park, and there are some interesting looking breakwaters in several places around the bay. I might try the Cambridge, MD breakwater if we get the proper wind direction (NW) later this fall, it is fairly low so would not block the wind too much.

I at least got up to 27.88 knots at Rocky Point on Friday, today's South winds don't seem to be as good as predicted as we have some cloud cover.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanWithrow wrote:
Very Happy So Michael.. how about a GPS session out on North Race?
Have you tried it? Is it as nice as it looks for flat water with big wind?

The spot for speed runs on the North Fork (and at the North Race) would be behind the Robins' Island sand bar, launching from New Suffolk. On SW it's a broad reach on pool-table flat water if you hug the sand bar. The bar hooks at the end so you have to jibe...the G's pulled are outstanding! Haven't tried it with my Garmin yet.

DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks perfect. Where's the launch?
Can you send me the Placemark on Google Earth?

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not it, Dean. You've posted an image of the bottom of Gardiners' Island, north of Napeague. On the South Fork. Have never tried sailing behind that sand bar. The run from Napeague to Gardiners is a bit of an adventure...you don't want to break down out there. Also it's only good in big noreasters, when the swell can get overhead.

Go to the Long Island Windsurfing Map on my blog

http://peconicpuffin.typepad.com/the_peconic_puffin/2006/12/windsurfing_pec.html

and look at New Suffolk. That's the launch.

You can see some aerial photos with details in this blog post:

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/08/adventures-in-t.html

Last but not least, here is a photo of a friend (taken by Jeff Schultz) running the sand bar. This is precisely where you can go wicked fast.

4869720938_bc982e682b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.22 KB
 Viewed:  13633 Time(s)

4869720938_bc982e682b.jpg

whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question about the GT-31, if I may. The manufacturer claims that it is waterproof, yet everyone seems to put them in waterproof armbands and such.

So, is it really waterproof? I see that they have two mounting holes on the bottom, I can imagine screwing it to a plate that would be held by the mast base bolts. Anyone tried this?

thanks.
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis the GT-31 is not waterproof. I did the initial development on the units when it was originally the GT-11 and waterproofing was not possible due to cost constraints. Use an aquapac or you'll be sorry. The mounting holes are for a handlebar mount that was originally sold as an accessory.

Roo
wsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peconic Dude..looks like serious fun...strap on a GPS and go for it.
Sounds like a launch I'd like to try. Where exactly is it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: