myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lowwind freestyle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallithesurfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the response, i have never thought before that i kick a discussion with so many replies off Very Happy
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
How would a Starboard Go work for this? I like the full eva deck pad. Anyone have any experience with this board? I guess you can just take a hacksaw to any old fin no?

Slinky,
this summer I finally decided to give in to Andy Brandt's exhortations that LWFS improves planing technique. I found that my older Starboard Go 170 works extremely well for this. I cut down a True Ames blade weed so now I have a deep tuttle freestyle fin!! Works great, just make sure to not go too small.

However, later on in the summer I also gave in to the whole SUP sail thing. Picked up a 9'6" Fanatic Allwave, great fun the two times I sailed it in waves, and even better (if that is possible) for LWFS. All the cool dudes here on LI (even Michael of puffin fame) are doing it.

the Go is great too, if you don't want to get a SUPsail board.
IUsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierrec45 wrote:
DelCarpenter wrote:
With a Kona One Design you can do rail rides in light wind and plane in strong winds. The rail ride in the attached photo taken 8-24-12 was done by a sailor who said the last time he'd tried a clew-first rail ride was over 20 years ago.

With due respect, most disagreed, very limited. Very few railrides can be done on a Kona, the one you're posting is basic. About 15 railrides and 5 everoles can be done on a modern Windsurfer, but only 3-4 rails on a Kona. For instance never seen a full tack-gybe upside down on a Kona, etc.

This is no offense to Steve C. who appears on the picture - great freestylist, no offense to the Kona - great plank and can be fun to fool around on. But just not a top board to freestyle on.

The SUP Super 12'6 (blue board above) is also a bit limited: somewhere between a Kona and a windsurfer for board move freestyle...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: