myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lowwind freestyle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swmckay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Sailable SUPs can also be great for freestyle. I just got an Exocet WindSUP 10 and love it for light wind freestyle. Soft top, plenty of width for stability, but it turns much better than a long board, so things like 360s or even the end of a duck tack are a lot more fun.

I've been using a 9'2" Fanatic SUP for light wind freestyle, and even though it's only about 135l, it's great. The skills carry over almost immediately to my 100l Skate, which maybe shouldn't surprise me, but it did.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swmckay wrote:

I've been using a 9'2" Fanatic SUP for light wind freestyle, and even though it's only about 135l, it's great. The skills carry over almost immediately to my 100l Skate, which maybe shouldn't surprise me, but it did.

I am on possibly the exact same gear! Fanatic AllWave 9'2, and a 99l Skate (they took a liter off for 2012...go figure). Plus my Superlight.

The AllWave 9'2 is 160 liters (they say).

I'm 165 lbs btw.

whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, SUPs seem to be becoming the board of choice for LWFS (unless you're pretty far advanced). I am using my Allwave 9'6" for LWFS and it seems to be board of choice at ABK now (even Andy has the 9'6").

So, for me, SUP for LWFS and light wind wave sailing, never for paddling!!

I started doing LWFS this summer with my old GO 170 and cut down a fin for it, deep tuttle freestyle fin!! But, the SUP actually fits in my van better.

Btw, as for longboard freestyling, there is a video on the internet somewhere showing Mike Waltz freestyling on a longboard (Windsurfer?) at a regatta in the old days. It's a pretty cool vid. more than just railriding. Looks like he's doing ballet or something. Caesar has re-defined that type of thing, I think he calls it flow style. Pretty cool. saw him putting on a show in Bonaire in 2009.

hope it blows this weekend in Delaware.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Good stuff....
Here on the west coast of US, we never see boards like that, and anything over 150 liters is for the non planing crowd of beginners.
We don't seem to ever get steady days of 12, or 15. It's usually nothing, then a quick jump to 19, then nothing again.

"Here on the west coast of US, we never see..."
REALLY ?? So... wherever you are... "maybe" that is true. But please.. don't speak for the west coast... it's kind of big place, right Smile
I mean... if that's your opinion for your local beach, or your city, then say "that". But, it's certainly NOT true for your state. So please don't make such broad generalizations.
Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes.. to the original author of this thread. Well done !!
Very nice sailing... and great video Smile

I saw a couple of nice moves in it... I'd like to learn.
Greg -
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Scott,

how do you like your Allwave 9'2" for windsurfing?

I'm looking at getting a board for light wind conditions - ie LWFS and LW waves, but also would like something that can be used with a 7.0 or ideally an 8.5 on inland lake when I want to plane. Should plane up faster than my 110 liter Skate (I weigh 160#). No plans for SUP tho.

Ideally it would be nice to have a board that could cross over to be used by my kids down the road, but this is secondary since I have a JP youngun already (thanks Scott !).

I was looking at the Windsup 10, but wonder if something lighter and more nimble for my weight might be better.

thanks
Jeff
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good news, Jeff. There are no footstraps on the Allwave, and I doubt it could take the fin you'd want for the sails you want.

I weigh 165 so we're essentially the same size. The 110 Skate (I have a 109 JP Freestyle) is going to plane earlier.

wsmtbskate wrote:
Mike and Scott,

how do you like your Allwave 9'2" for windsurfing?

I'm looking at getting a board for light wind conditions - ie LWFS and LW waves, but also would like something that can be used with a 7.0 or ideally an 8.5 on inland lake when I want to plane. Should plane up faster than my 110 liter Skate (I weigh 160#). No plans for SUP tho.

Ideally it would be nice to have a board that could cross over to be used by my kids down the road, but this is secondary since I have a JP youngun already (thanks Scott !).

I was looking at the Windsup 10, but wonder if something lighter and more nimble for my weight might be better.

thanks
Jeff

pierrec45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: SUP freestyle Reply with quote

... from the same girl who was railriding in the earlier post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTEq4uAOzs&feature=g-upl

Seriously, they're different kinds of freestyle. I doubt very much (no offense guys) that those who don't do these tricks can appreciate how difficult it is - of any flavour - whether waves, flow, rails, etc. Shocked

Good clip by the original poster - obviously was enjoying his outing, that's all that matters !
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Kona One Design you can do rail rides in light wind and plane in strong winds. The rail ride in the attached photo taken 8-24-12 was done by a sailor who said the last time he'd tried a clew-first rail ride was over 20 years ago.

P1100185.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  805.67 KB
 Viewed:  13844 Time(s)

P1100185.JPG

pierrec45

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
With a Kona One Design you can do rail rides in light wind and plane in strong winds. The rail ride in the attached photo taken 8-24-12 was done by a sailor who said the last time he'd tried a clew-first rail ride was over 20 years ago.

With due respect, most disagreed, very limited. Very few railrides can be done on a Kona, the one you're posting is basic. About 15 railrides and 5 everoles can be done on a modern Windsurfer, but only 3-4 rails on a Kona. For instance never seen a full tack-gybe upside down on a Kona, etc.

This is no offense to Steve C. who appears on the picture - great freestylist, no offense to the Kona - great plank and can be fun to fool around on. But just not a top board to freestyle on.

The SUP Super 12'6 (blue board above) is also a bit limited: somewhere between a Kona and a windsurfer for board move freestyle...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: