myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lowwind freestyle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess LeeD and Caesar have never heard of a rail ride. I've seen Original Windsurfer freestyle competition routines in which the whole routine was done on the rail.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great if you're girl doing splits while Rriding, kinda stupid for guys.
A watched several close to world champ Windsurfer sailors going at it, and though it was cool, it's not planing shortboarding.
We used to hang out with Matt and Mike at Abrejos. They were OK freestylers.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, Living in Ct. now, and not getting out on the water nearly enough. Since what we usually have here is light wind ,I need a board larger than my Starboard Kombat 107 for the 5-15 knt. days. Lightwind freestyle is something one can do in very little wind. Looks to me like Caesar Finies, and others are using small sails, maybe 5.5 m or so? and a big wide board. How would a Starboard Go work for this? I like the full eva deck pad. Anyone have any experience with this board? I guess you can just take a hacksaw to any old fin no?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Go works well! Try a sail between 5.0 and 5.5.

slinky wrote:
Hi All, Living in Ct. now, and not getting out on the water nearly enough. Since what we usually have here is light wind ,I need a board larger than my Starboard Kombat 107 for the 5-15 knt. days. Lightwind freestyle is something one can do in very little wind. Looks to me like Caesar Finies, and others are using small sails, maybe 5.5 m or so? and a big wide board. How would a Starboard Go work for this? I like the full eva deck pad. Anyone have any experience with this board? I guess you can just take a hacksaw to any old fin no?

konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video of chick doing split on rail ride here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XN3ajH8w10&feature=related

Seriously, though. I met this guy at a race. Like the original poster, he has a great attitude. If he gets time to sail, he wants to sail, not wait for 'enough' wind. He moved inland, but wanted to sail alot, and be challenged. He picked up the board and rig at a garage sale for next to nothing.

If you buy a big board for doing light wind freestyling, you'll be limited if you buy one that doesn't rail ride well.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konajoe, rail riding opens up a world of cool tricks no doubt,, but there is also a world of non planing freestyle that is much more easily learned on wide boards not suitable for railriding. The trade off downside for longboards is substantial. I freestyle on both wide boards and an old longboard btw.
konajoe wrote:
Video of chick doing split on rail ride here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XN3ajH8w10&feature=related

Seriously, though. I met this guy at a race. Like the original poster, he has a great attitude. If he gets time to sail, he wants to sail, not wait for 'enough' wind. He moved inland, but wanted to sail alot, and be challenged. He picked up the board and rig at a garage sale for next to nothing.

If you buy a big board for doing light wind freestyling, you'll be limited if you buy one that doesn't rail ride well.

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starboard GO IS the board the guy is using for those shallow water tricks.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Starboard GO IS the board the guy is using for those shallow water tricks.

Actually he's on a Starboard Start (very similar, a tiny bit bigger that the Go. )
They're both outstanding boards for nonplaning freestyle. Fyi I've sailed alongside Caesar a few times in nonplaning and 25 knot conditions, and even caught a lesson from him.

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff....
Here on the west coast of US, we never see boards like that, and anything over 150 liters is for the non planing crowd of beginners.
We don't seem to ever get steady days of 12, or 15. It's usually nothing, then a quick jump to 19, then nothing again.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailable SUPs can also be great for freestyle. I just got an Exocet WindSUP 10 and love it for light wind freestyle. Soft top, plenty of width for stability, but it turns much better than a long board, so things like 360s or even the end of a duck tack are a lot more fun.

I think most sailable SUPs will work well for light wind freestyle. I (and most ECWF 2012 attendees) have seen Mike Burns to pretty cool LWFS on his Mistral SUP. And, of course, you may get some other uses out of a sailable SUP, like light wind wave sailing or no-wind paddling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: