myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Great white sharks back in Red Triangle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dperzinski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week another sailor and I saw a couple of dolphins at Waddell. We reasoned that that was a good sign because dolphins and sharks don't hang out together, but according to the aforementioned article, a pod of dolphins was in the same area as the white. The dolphins split as soon as we got in the water.

Sometime in August a couple of us sighted a white at Waddell. It was freaking huge. There were lots of kiters and sailors out and nobody was packing it up, so we went out too.
pgoetz51

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all one ocean... some friends filmed an attack at Franklin Pt. last week on a sea lion that was in the lineup with them a few minutes earlier, bad boy est. @14 ft. I've also seen a shot of a significant tail and dorsal fin well inside the cement ship at Rio. They're out there, fortunately surfers of whatever type are bony and low-cal compared to their preferred nourishment.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgoetz51 wrote:
It's all one ocean... some friends filmed an attack at Franklin Pt. last week on a sea lion that was in the lineup with them a few minutes earlier, bad boy est. @14 ft. I've also seen a shot of a significant tail and dorsal fin well inside the cement ship at Rio. They're out there, fortunately surfers of whatever type are bony and low-cal compared to their preferred nourishment.

HUH? As in Rio Vista?

jse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing he means Rio Del Mar, near Aptos and Santa Cruz

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: expedition white shark Reply with quote

did anyone give the link? includes links to the phone app to to follow individual tagged sharks in real time. might give you an idea if they are in your area.

http://www.expeditionwhiteshark.com/

attacks are up due to more food (including human water sports enthusiasts) and, hopefully, decrease in shark fin harvesting.
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayside wrote:
"Sorry, you are wrong. Great whites were seen off Santa Cruz all summer long. Rangers posted signs of warning. Windsurfers had sightings. This Fall and Winter only thing is bogus.

Windward1"

The Stanford group mentioned in the link had a paper published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B about 2 years age describing the movement of a 179 tagged Great Whites from 2000 - 2008. Numbers detected on teh N.Cal coast were very low from Mar-July (although not zero) , started increasing in August, peaked between Oct & Nov then started declining again. In the spring/summer most migrate to offshore Hawaii or a spot in open ocean between Baja and Hawaii.

From this data the chances of coming into contact with a GW on the CA coast was probably 10 fold greater in the fall compared to early summer. How that translates to the chances of being attacked, no comment.

It is worth reading the paper - it is free access for that journal

Yes, great article about sharks! If I remember the specifics correctly they mentioned that juvenile sharks do not migrate with the adults. And it's the juvenile shark that is still trying to figure out what to eat so do a lot of "taste testing" whereas the adult is a bit more educated on what's good for dinner.

So.......is it safer to be in the water with juveniles in early spring to summer when there is little for them to eat? Or is it safer when the adults are around (probably acting as mentors to the juveniles) in fall/winter when they go after the young seal population?

Food for thought. Confused
Bayside

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great image - a bunch of home alone teenage sharks behaving badly during summer vacation while the adults are away on holiday in Hawai
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
About 5 years ago, just after the windsurf season, I was surfing CronkiteBeach (Rodeo?) in the middle looking for lefts. I noticed the pack of maybe 40 guys at the N end came in, were yelling, jumping, and pointing at the water where they were surfing. Looked liked a seal getting attacked by a shark or two, or two seals by a shark.
I stayed in the water and picked off 3 good long lefts. Why come in? The sharks were distracted, any arriving ones would go THERE, not where I was looking for waves, and I got the surf to myself.

Classic! That reminds me of this story that happened some time back.

Sep 30, 2011
Swami's fake shark-fin prank may have originated at Catalina

As a lifelong surfer, I've often thought that one way to clear a crowded lineup is to construct a real-looking shark fin that could be well-placed near the crowd just before I paddled out. Of course, I never followed through with the devious plan.

But it seemed that someone did earlier this week, when a fake fin materialized before a startled paddleboarder not far from Swami's, a popular surf spot off Encinitas, Calif., and near my home break.

Perhaps coincidentally, this is the same location where a shark scare occurred three weeks ago, when a widely circulated photo revealed what looked like the tail end of a large shark cruising through a wave.

The paddleboarder cautiously approached the fake fin --he didn't know it was fake at the time -- and discovered it was a hoax. Someone had constructed, with wood and PVC piping, a floating device from which protruded a fake fin.

Fortunately, it's discovery was made before it could generate a scare at the expense of local tax payers. "If this was used to create a false alarm, it would actually pull out a lot of resources out of the coastal areas here in Encinitas -- fire, lifeguard, sheriff -- that would cause us to pull resources from areas where we're watching people on the beach and in the water," Encinitas lifeguard Capt. Larry Giles told CBS 8 News.

But it turns out that this probably was not a devious attempt to clear a lineup or create a scare. Most likely this device was among many deployed recently as pranks during a marlin tournament off Catalina Island. The fins more closely resemble those of marlin, not sharks. They fool anglers into thinking they've spotted a marlin and a good laugh is had by all.

The devices, however, are supposed to be retrieved, and at least one appeared to have floated all the way to the mainland. The paddleboarder, who did not want to be identified, said of his eerie discovery: "I tell you what, if the lifeguard saw this, from a distance, it wouldn't surprise me if they cleared the beach. That's how realistic it looked, that's all I have to say."

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/2011/09/swamis-fake-shark-fin-prank-may-have-originated-at-catalina.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: