myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Great white sharks back in Red Triangle
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pshaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Great white sharks back in Red Triangle Reply with quote

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Great-white-sharks-back-in-Red-Triangle-3885260.php#photo-3489865
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year since before mankind, they've come in August, left in Nov.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check the tides. I check the wind. I check the swell period, size, and direction. I never check the shark sightings.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Every year since before mankind, they've come in August, left in Nov.

you sure ..?? That since their would have been no video documentation or written word, that they came not in September and left in October

OP thanks for posting, interesting

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m sure.
Surfed OceanBeach from '65-/85, 5 days a week. Know McCosker personally. Read at least 5 books on the FaralloneIslands. Watched every shark series on Nova, LeaningChannel, and Discovery.
The pack comes sometime in August, leave by Nov. They make annual treks around most of the WestPacific.
So far, something like 35 shark bites in the RedTriangle. ONE total in the spring, the rest in the late summer/fall.
Well, ONE bite can occur anywhere.
trburl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacific

Last edited by trburl on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Skywalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is especially true on a 5 foot south swell and 25 mph average at
Davenport. Shark bites on the weekends are generally just on the ankles.
Most importantly and more likely you are going to be run over by an 18 wheeler on the way.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candygram!

21.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.87 KB
 Viewed:  21943 Time(s)

21.jpg

beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly more serious note; I was SO GLAD to hear one of the scientists studying great whites along the west coast using tagging (on Shark Week, of course) say; "We think there are about 220 great whites along the west coast, we feel good about that estimate but we have no idea if that number is growing or shrinking." (This may not be his precise quote but it was very close to this.) For how long have we heard that great whites are endangered or becoming extinct. I've even Emailed some of the scientists to ask how many great whites were there 20, 50 or a hundred years ago. Of course no one has any idea.
We do know that shark encounters are definitely on the increase, there can be no argument there. Factors no doubt include more humans in the water using kayaks, boats, windsurfers, kiters, surfers, SUPers etc. I still remember when Jack O'Neil invented the wetsuit and the steady unbeleivable improvement in wetsuits since (I find every new wetsuit I get is a lot better than the one it replaced.) So norcal water has been tamed by neoprene.
Another factor is the increase in food near shore now, drawing the sharks in close to shore. Seal, sea lion and otter populations (and in Hawaii-turtles) have exploded. Most animals are found near their food-true for rattlesnakes, coyotes and most predators. Thus, mostly due to the otters, the now rare and expensive abalone steak-hey, how is that abalone farm doing at Davy?
Tagging is teaching us that sharks have always been closeby. We have learned that they visit the norcal coast on a regular basis, but also it turns out that they are common around the tourist areas of Cape Cod, they spend time around Hawaii; all surprises and only known since tagging has been feasible.
Finally, we have been told repeatedly that their numbers are depleated and shrinking fast in the past. But shark encounters are way up. Conclusion; If they become any more rare, we won't be able to even get in the water!
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee D wrote:
I"m sure.
Surfed OceanBeach from '65-/85, 5 days a week. Know McCosker personally. Read at least 5 books on the FaralloneIslands. Watched every shark series on Nova, LeaningChannel, and Discovery.
The pack comes sometime in August, leave by Nov. They make annual treks around most of the WestPacific.
So far, something like 35 shark bites in the RedTriangle. ONE total in the spring, the rest in the late summer/fall.
Well, ONE bite can occur anywhere."

Sorry, you are wrong. Great whites were seen off Santa Cruz all summer long. Rangers posted signs of warning. Windsurfers had sightings. This Fall and Winter only thing is bogus.

Windward1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: