myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quickest recovery after swell hop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Another way to do it is to pull your front foot out of the strap and bash the rail to leeward with your front foot.

Ok, I'm game for a bit of experimentation with this as well, thanks. But, I'll also heed the techno/iso-cautions, as my equipment is eastcoast-sized and the 'ole ankles are of the spindly variety. I'll post back with results if we get some wind here again.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, every good windsurfer has spun out dozens of times, maybe closer to hundreds of times, and we know how to pull the tail in to align the board to the direction of travel.
Safest to keep the leeward rail up while recovering.
Safest to keep both feet in the straps, since you're spun out going 45 degrees sideways at 18 mph.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

Yup. A dropped lee rail, especially a sharp one, is a curb waiting to be hit. Do that right (wrong?) and you can slide right up the sail from bottom to top inside the booms, and you'd better hope your ankles come with you.
justall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it.

Yeah, I could imagine catching the rail at speed wouldn't be too much fun. Given some historical "splashes" that haven't been pleasant, I probably haven't followed that precaution all the time. Pretty valuable stuff here.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Don't worry, every good windsurfer has spun out dozens of times, maybe closer to hundreds of times, and we know how to pull the tail in to align the board to the direction of travel.
Safest to keep both feet in the straps, since you're spun out going 45 degrees sideways at 18 mph.

Right. I've cavitated. I've recovered by pulling my back foot back in under me. But I have a technique question. I believe you... but am just trying to visualize the "movement". Cause I think that I just always, try to keep the board flat... at these times.

How do I raise the leeward rail, while pulling my back foot back underneath me?
Only thing I can think of... is raise or lift the front foot toes ???

Is this what you're doing? Is "that" really effective (just lifting up, on the front foot toes)?
I'll have to try it. Or... is there something else?

Thanks, Greg -
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He, just came back from such a crazy session. It was awesome ! Just pull up with your back foot for now. It's enough to not make it slide.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With sharp rails, snagging the leeward rail is more likely and can produce extremely hard slams; I'd suggest depowering the instant they let go until you get good at recovery. All my boards have soft rails, so sliding can be fun and controllable, recovery simple and very quick; hang your weight in the harness and yank your back foot upwind. It gets subconscious and almost instantaneous.

I once slid completely sideways for many seconds at full power just to see how big a bud's eyes would get as he lay in the water with my whole rail sliding directly towards his head on the water. (Uh, they got BIG. Wink ) He didn't know how easy it is to bring back a soft-railed board, and I made darned sure I had time to safely abort or lay it down in case I flubbed the recovery.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

As adywind says, pull up your back leg so your butt is close to the straps. This automatically turns the nose of the board off the wind a bit, which allows the board to land without spin out.

While lake sailing and assuming you are on a beam reach and the waves are perfectly perpendicular to the wind (usually not this way so one direction is usually favored over the other). To jump, you have to turn up wind a bit to hit the face of the wave an an angle (30 degrees up) to get lift. If you land at the same angle, you will spin out. If you turn back to a beam reach while in the air, you may still spin out, but maybe not. If you can turn further off the wind (100-110 degrees instead of 90), you will not spin out. The higher you go, the easier it is to turn.

When you turn up wind to hit a wave, don't do it too soon or you will lose important board speed.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
To jump, you have to turn up wind a bit to hit the face of the wave an an angle (30 degrees up) to get lift. If you land at the same angle, you will spin out ...

at least until you learn to extend your legs and actively set your board down gently before your weight descends onto the floating board, much as you would if jumping onto your lawn from your roof. You may as well start working on that (landing your board gently, not jumping off your roof), as it protects your board and knees and all but eliminates spinout even when landing big jumps while still pointed high. Once you learn to land pointed off the wind, then to land gently, you can transfer that gentle landing process into beam reach landings, then to upwind landings, without spinout or noticeable speed loss. After all, we don't always want to land pointed downwind, and increased options = increased fun.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I guess I never thought about extending the legs on the way down, since it just happens naturally (for me). Anyway, you don't want to land in a sitting position with your butt near the rear straps, for obvious reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: