myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freestyle question: Riding switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Freestyle question: Riding switch Reply with quote

So, everyone agrees that riding switch is hard, but I'm wondering if there's some trick I'm missing to getting in the opposite straps without making the board oscillate all over the place, come off a plane, or otherwise become uncontrollable. I've only been able to ride switch for about 5 sec. so far, and I think I need better control before trying a kono or some other tricks. It sure looks easy when you watch Bryan Metcalf-Perez or Kiri doin' it.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice first in non planing conditions.
Then practice out of both straps.
Finally, in the straps.
In between jibe your board, sail out out without changing feet, forget about the sail.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the freestylers simply jibe but don't change their foot position. Most take their back foot out as in a normal jibe and exit switch foot, which is the very first shortboard jibe technique before most converted to a step or race jibe. All you need to do is return your back foot to the strap and presto, shazam!
human_catapult

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Right, the freestylers simply jibe but don't change their foot position. Most take their back foot out as in a normal jibe and exit switch foot, which is the very first shortboard jibe technique before most converted to a step or race jibe. All you need to do is return your back foot to the strap and presto, shazam!

This is one of the ways it can be accomplished, but I would never say "this is how freestylers do it". If you watch any freestyle videos, you will see that sailors switch their feet while continuing on the same tack most of the time.

I've been working on this skill a little bit. If I were to say there is a trick to it, I would say the trick is "toe pressure". Usually when you are just sailing along you're a bit more pressure over your heels. When sailing switch this same pressure will be applied to your toes instead of your heels.

Another mistake that is common is not having your weight forward on the board. Usually you see people sailing switch with their knees bent and they keep their weight more over their front leg.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting into the straps switch is hard and takes practice... and people do it differently. I kind of have two different techniques

1: take back foot out and place on centerline a bit forward of rear strap, pivot front foot out and place behind front strap on the upwind side of the centerline w/ good pressure on toes to keep the board railed to windward a little bit, put new front foot in as far as you can w/ a lot of toe pressure and transfer your weight to the new front foot and MFP, place new rear foot. I find keeping pressure on the upwind rail makes the board track a little more consistently and takes the edge off little pieces of chop. I use this technique in flatter water

2. in choppier water I take by back foot out like a jibe and actually turn off the wind a little bit w/ some pressure on my back foot toes and sheet the sail out a little bit, then pivot my front foot out and do as above... that way i'm going down a little piece of swell w/ less sail pressure to get my new front foot in the strap.

once planing, it's really important to have MFP like normal sailing, keep the rig more forward than you think, and have the sail raked to windward or else you'll end up on your heels and your weight over the tail. I took some POV footage of Peter Najim sailing switch, and you can see his body position in the video thumbnail:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150982056160834

i'm sure i've left off a lot of steps, but it's a start.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are great tips guys, thanks a ton! I can see what I am doing wrong now.
Kevin, you're good at freestyle.....like....really good.

rexi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive freestyle from you Kevin!

I just started working on switch sailing before landing Vulcans and did the jibe approach, just do a carving jibe in both straps and sail away switch. It worked pretty well and not that hard. But going into switch stance fully planing with out the jibe approach.. I havenīt mastered that yet, will try the method Kevin mentioned above next time I try, sounds logical. I have been trying it with my front foot in the strap when moving my back foot in the other front strap with out good results..
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Aaron (Human Catapult) said, plus it is very easy to lose consistent mast base pressure while switching your feet, which gets the board squirreling all over the place. When switching, consciously pull down with your front arm...even direct your front elbow down to keep the board trim steady as you switch.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I tried the jibe to switch and that worked really well; first time I've ever planned for an extended period of time and felt in control while riding switch. I get it now! I was really happy about that, but it will take alot more practice to go switch while on a plane. Thanks for the great tips though.
My big freestyle break through for the year happened today: I finally pushed through the chicken-shit phase and threw about ten really decent vulcan attempts. Another 50-100 and I'll have it. Great day of sailing today!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: