myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind-SUP combo?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gahenton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Wind-SUP combo? Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy windsurfing gear for the first time and have been windsurfing 3 times.
Does anyone have a good experience with a WIND-SUP crossover setup?

I've heard the RRD Longrider is good but they don't make them anymore or something. Also, The BIC Jungle or the Kona One. I guess what I'm looking for is a "WIND-SUP" setup or a "multipurpose SUP". I realize that everything is specialized more or less, but I've seen companies promising to provide a good experience windsurfing as well as SUP touring. My goal is to get out there and have fun on the gorge and to also do some SUP boarding with my wife.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SUP with sail is a very clumsy windsurfer for very light wind.
It is intended to get you to your SUP site or to fool around when you are tired of paddling.
Those who windsurf don't last more than single session on one but they have a place among those who like sailing kayaks and so on.
Bad windsurfing rig.
Buy a cheap one in Gorge and you will like sailing it a lot better.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gahenton,

There are some good WIND-sups out there, which pretty much do it all, and then there are some sups than can be windsurfed but aren't great at it. I wrote a comprehensive blog post on this issue a little while ago.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2012/07/big-boards-that-do-it-all.html

Good luck picking a board! Smile

-James

Brian_S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gahenton,
In addition to James' suggestions, you might check out Dwight Fisher's blog. He's got a lot of experience sailing and designing Wind SUP's

http://ncpaddlesurfer.blogspot.com/

Brian
www.miwindsurfing.com
jse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what keycocker has against sailing SUP's, but I disagree. It may not be the best choice for your only board, on that point I agree. But sailing a SUP is the absolute best - and I mean very best - way to conquer sail handling before you try to tackle the same moves on a smaller board. It used to be that you would buy a tuna-boat board, learn to sail, then buy a transition board, learn to waterstart and maybe gybe, then buy a "short board" and toss the first two boards in the dustheap never to be used again. But a SUP with a mast attachment is a fantastic tool to have as you progress. If it's not windy enough to power whatever board you are using for the most part, ride the SUP. And learn those light-wind tricks on it before you try them on a short board. Tacks, gybes, Heli-tacks, backwind sailing, clew first sailing, sail 360's, duck gybes, duck tacks, the list goes on. All of these, when perfected in light wind on a SUP get you so much further on in your efforts to learn the planing counterparts. I just wish I had a sailable SUP when I started, 30 years ago. The reason SUP's are so valuable for this is that it takes the board component pretty much out of the equation, leaving you to focus on the sail handling. Most freestyle sailors will tell you that tricks are 80% sail handling.

FYI: I ride a Fanatic Fly 10'6", when I'm not shredding it off of Treasure Island, as I was today. And I guarantee you, my skills today were enhanced by the time I spent on the SUP.

Steve
jse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also say that sailing a SUP in typical Gorge conditions is probably not the best idea. Perhaps that's what Keycocker is referring to. Most SUP's should be sailed in 15mph winds max.

Steve
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo JSE's comments. Once you have become competent at pivot jibing and tacking, a SUP board makes a nice nonplaning board for having fun in light winds (and it will grow into a lightwind wavesailing board if you've got the conditions.)

SUP's are not ideal learning boards. It's natural to think "okay it's not ideal but I can deal with that" but in fact, learning windsurfing is exponentially easier on the right board. Also, it's fairly easy to sell "beginner boards" if when you outgrow them. That many of us learned on less than ideal boards should not encourage you...we're the crazed enthusiasts who put up with it. Many people give up windsurfing before they really "get it" because they're on the wrong equipment.

Consider something like the Fanatic Viper. You won't regret it.

jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many good points raised in answers here, and indeed I think a crossover for the Gorge is an unlikely choice (caveat, never been to the Gorge). But I might add one more viewpoint. Windsurfing is actually many different disciplines involving a board and a sail. Some of those disciplines are location specific - wave sailing, gorge style blasting, light wind cruising, to name just a few. The different disciplines all have their own equipment of choice. For my own windsurfing, which is summertime, and in the ocean off of the South shore of Long Island, a crossover turns out to be the best board - not a compromise, not a transition, just the best. Not all crossovers would work - I have one that is more windsurfer than SUP board, which works for me (great glide, great early planing [powerbox], not great turning on a wave in surf mode, though fine with a sail). Everyone tends to recommend gear for their given approach to the sport, the conditions they sail in, etc., so really, you want to find the person who is doing the kind of windsurfing you want to do, and ask them how they got there.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/wind-sup.php

they are far from the "barge like" stereotype. they plane. they wave ride pretty frickin good. the big one paddles technically, sails super easy. the small one paddles easily and wave catches a bit more technically with a sail.

the wind SUP 11'8 is a board that should have been available 30 years ago.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've seen them sailed in the Gorge, it always looks like a struggle.
With the short period swells, erratic chop, and wind that is either 5.0
and below, or zero, the lack of straps, length, and sail, seem to be
180 degrees out of phase with Gorge conditions. Undoubtedly a challenge
in the "Can you do it with an Ice Pick through your head?" category,
I'm not sure I'd enjoy a wind SUP up here, but a regular SUP is a perfect
compliment for no winders in glassy Gorge conditions.

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: