myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Feedback on RRD FSW board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocalws

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Feedback on RRD FSW board Reply with quote

Am looking to buy a board. For a while, I've been using my buddy's RRD Avantmove (108 liter). Love this board. It gets my 180 lb frame moving in winds as low as 18 with my 6.5. Sadly, they guy won't part with it. I don't have the money for a new board, but did happen to find a used RRD FSW (101 liter) that is a bit newer (2005). I don't freestyle, but I do sail most conditions in the SF Bay. I recently learned how to jibe... though I'm not that great (land them 25% of the time... and close the remaining 75%).

Curious to know how this FSW might compare to Avantmove. Specs are that the FSW is a bit shorter than the Avantmove (256 vs 265) and not as floaty (100 vs 108 ltr). Both are the same width.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on RRD FSW board Reply with quote

Nocalws wrote:

Curious to know how this FSW might compare to Avantmove. Specs are that the FSW is a bit shorter than the Avantmove (256 vs 265) and not as floaty (100 vs 108 ltr). Both are the same width.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hi. and don't know the Avantmove but the two boards are too close in volume. At your weight if you keep the Avantmove I would get a 95L or even a 90L that would be your "high-wind" board. Having said that I am 160 pounds and I have a RRD FSW 85 that is one of the best boards I ever owned. Easy, smooth, can handle with confidence 6.0 to 4.7 (and even 4.2, but by than I am on my smaller board), works like a charm in places like Crissy and Coyote.
Nocalws

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on RRD FSW board Reply with quote

Nocalws wrote:

Having said that I am 160 pounds and I have a RRD FSW 85 that is one of the best boards I ever owned. Easy, smooth, can handle with confidence 6.0 to 4.7 (and even 4.2, but by than I am on my smaller board), works like a charm in places like Crissy and Coyote.

Thanks! So it sounds like the FSW would be fine for someone who is more familiar with freeride boards? I don't do any freestyle but am becoming better on the swells -- I'm just starting to jump. Anyway, this FSW I found would be so I don't have to borrow my buddy's Avantmove.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FSW's are NOT freestyle boards. They are do everything go windsurfing boards that go fast, jump high, and jibe even better than pure freestyle boards.
It's a good size for you.
I'm 150lbs., and my 84FSW could be a great ONE board solution for windsurfing. But I like to carry 3 boards for myself every spot I go to, so often, the FSW get's left in the garage.
Nocalws

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for the info!
zirtaeb wrote:
FSW's are NOT freestyle boards. They are do everything go windsurfing boards that go fast, jump high, and jibe even better than pure freestyle boards.
It's a good size for you.
I'm 150lbs., and my 84FSW could be a great ONE board solution for windsurfing. But I like to carry 3 boards for myself every spot I go to, so often, the FSW get's left in the garage.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an RRD 2006 94 FSW and love it. Its my light wind board at 160 lbs. I've had it now for over 6 years. It is well built and very fun to ride. I don't do freestyle either, but love to go fast and carve turns. At your size, the 101 should be perfect down to about 18 mph in most places, or 21 in Berkley.
Bayside

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan - at 180 I use an old Fanatic 96L FSW which works great with a 6.1 for light wind days, particularly Palo Alto or 3rd on a flood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: