myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeride Boards for a Newbie
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmonty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Freeride Boards for a Newbie Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Here is yet another post by someone new that is looking for information on boards. I apologize in advance for the length of the post.

So the question is this...I have been kiteboarding for over 10 years now and have sailed one-design sailboats for 8 plus years so I understand wind and water. I am giving up kiteboarding now though and switching over to windsurfing.

I live in the Great Lakes region and will simply be Freeriding, so I am interested in getting everyone's opinion on (4) different boards and how they would or would not suit me.

Some more information is that the average winds in the area that I will be riding are around 9-12 knots and can bump up to 15-25 knots in the Fall. I weigh in at about 115kg and will more than likely be purchasing (2) sails from North Sails...S-Type 7.8m and 9.5m. I am interested in the Fanatic Hawk and Shark along with the Starboard Futura and Carve, but want to make sure I buy a board that I won't grow out of in a couple of months, but will be able to get on and ride fairly easily. I have read a few articles about the volume of boards and corresponding rider weight, rig weight and ability being the deciding factors....but I also just read a very convincing article stating that volume isn't the most important factor in deciding which board but is actually the width of the board instead. The width being important opens up the opportunity, it seems, to buy a smaller more controllable board if that is truly the case.

Again, these boards in my own mind seem to be the correct choices for the conditions I will be riding in, light to moderate wind, calm to light chop on the water and my weight/ability, but I am calling out to you all to find out if I am on the correct track with my thoughts.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. One last thing if I may....does anyone have ANY good shops here in the States that sell Fanatic and/or Starboard? It seems kiteboarding here in the States has taken over and all of the windsurfing shops have either switched or have gone away.

Thank you so much for reading my post and giving any advice you may have.

shark.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.37 KB
 Viewed:  31410 Time(s)

shark.jpg

Futura.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.21 KB

Futura.jpg

Fanatic-Hawk-2012.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.91 KB

Fanatic-Hawk-2012.jpg

carve-s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.6 KB

carve-s.jpg

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm 210 lbs. that's 95 kg. i need boards that pump to plane. beware of boards that have double concave too far aft. they do provide higher end stability, but at the expense of early planing. those folks that raved about some boards when i was at the hatteras test spring 2011 were nowhere on the water in what i call in lighter winds that require early planing, btw. so, one may see graphs and words about "light wind ," but it's a very subjective term.

the hawk is a highly strung nearly slalom board, pay attention to fins after you get wound up. the shark is a bit sedate, more for a comfortable cruise.

the futura is not the kind of board i like. it may work great in higher wind venues, but not for me in florida. the carve is a great board for anywhere.

might i also interest you in an exocet? they plane early, yet have great higher wind stability and range.

http://www.exocet-original.com/scross.php
pumps to plane really early in each size class. super smooth, easy to jibe. sails great super lit.

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/nano.php
great performance for the money, not that far off the S-Cross, maybe 5-8% less in subjective experience to either the Cross or S-Cross

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/twixx.php

same as the Nano, except it's a twin fin that worx!

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stating the obvious, jingebritsen is a exocet dealer....so remember that as you take his advice on equipment.

The boards that you picture will work for an experienced windsurfer of your weight in the 15-25 mph months of your year. They will not work for you, (115kg), in 9-12 mph to learn on.

I think that you need some time on a large beginner board, with a dagger board, in the range of 200ltr + before you start spending lots of money on expensive freeride boards. Not that you will not end up with a freeride board, but the windsurfing fundamentals are most quickly learned on a beginner board, and will reduce the time that it takes to truely enjoy the sport of windsurfing.

And there are boards out there that will be large enough to make it easy for you to learn, and that will be a keeper for you when things are in the 9-12 mph range.

Spend your money on equipment that you will use now...not on equipment that you dream on using in the future. The boards that you have pictured are not going to work to learn this sport on in the conditions that you have. Especially the 9-12 stuff.

KMF
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with kmf, 120 liters will be tough to learn on at 115 kg, and tough to sail in 9-12 knts. Looking at your sail range you may want a bigger board.

I have both the Futura & Hawk and I have sailed the Shark & Carve. The Futura & Hawk are closer to slalom or race boards while the Shark & Carve are more true freeride cruising boards so you will have to figure out what you are looking for. The Hawk is actually a pro-model designed for supercross. In the hands of an experienced sailor it is a great board but learning to jibe? The other 3 boards will be far easier to learn to jibe on.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some perspective?
115 kg > 250#.
+ board @ 20#.
+ wetsuit, etc @ 10#.
+ 9m rig @ 15#.
Your total weight with wet footstraps = 300 pounds.
That's 136 kg.
At that weight, all those boards are virtually or literally sinkers.
Sinkers are for advanced to expert WSers, not beginners, novices or intermediates, and for ≥20 kts average onshore wind, not teens or offshore winds. You MIGHT get that good within 6-8 years if you get to sail in 20 kts a few score days a year. Many athletic and fairly aggressive WSers in your scenario never move up to sinkers because they're so rarely usable, especially for anyone with a job. I lived in a windy area (not the Gorge), was free to sail almost any windy day year 'round, was sailing in planing conditions within a couple of weeks, and bought my first sinker after almost 10 years of WSing on 6 or 8 bigger boards ... after which I still used boards with volumes of 2 to 3 X my weight in kg very often because they're FAR more practical and fun with wind in the teens.

YMMV, but not by the 99% you anticipate. This ain't kiting, and it SURELY ain't sitting in a sailboat under a fixed pole. Going from beginner to WSing on sinkers will be the biggest sustained challenge you have ever faced in your life, virtually impossible and sure as hell no fun if initiated on a sinker. I've taught no one your size to WS, but I'd think you'd advance MUCH more quickly on at least 200 liters of beginner-friendly board.

In addition, "Tmonty" posted this just 10 months ago: "I thought I was going to get into kiteboarding after taking a lesson, but have decided to stick with windsurfing instead." That's puzzling, given the similar unusual screen name. Any chance that was you?

Mike \m/
tmonty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird...was not me that stated that I was sticking with windsurfing. I know when I joined it had stated that my user name was already in use, but it allowed me to go with it anyway???

Either way, this is my first post and only first week on this website (a lot of good information).

With that said, thank you for all the great responses. I will clarify that in my own mind, the Shark and the Carve were the two boards I was most interested in just due to my size and rig weight. Those two boards have the higher volume rates and I figured they were more suitable to my situation. I was throwing the Futura and Hawk out there to see if any of you with experience would chime in with your opinions, which you have thank you.

I understand that this isn't kiteboarding and/or sitting under a fixed pole with a sail on it, but I do kiteboard with a friend that has been teaching windsurfing for many many years and he feels that I will progress rather quickly. Regardless of how hard it may be, or how hard my size makes it, I won't give up. Windsurfing is my next on water endeavor that I will more than likely end up doing for many many years to come!

Again, thank you for the insight.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those boards are all too small for you to learn on, with your
weight and wind conditions. Just let me
mention, that all my friends who converted to Kite boarding from
Windsurfing, tell me that Kite boarding is much much easier to learn,
and it's much much easier to get very proficient Kite boarding, than
Windsurfing. Just to help with your perspective.

Not trying to discourage you, in fact, I'm hoping you'll really like
Windsurfing, as it is a very rewarding sport to learn, and stay with.

Maybe you want to rent a beginner board in the 200 Ltr range for the 1st
few outings to understand what you want better? Your choices for
gear are pretty good for someone who is really proficient at windsurfing.

-Craig

-Craig
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is suggesting that you give up. On the contrary, we're offering advice which we strongly believe will most rapidly advance your fun and skills. I can not overemphasize the folly of beginning on a sinker even in some imaginary permanently windy spot, let alone the Great Lakes, and I suspect everyone here will agree.

I didn't say Tmonty's post was on this forum. It was on ikiteboarding.com, and the post date was just last Monday ... the same day you joined this forum; I see now that he joined ikitesurfing 10 months ago. Also, neither Tmonty nor tmonty has posted here prior to Monday. Sorry to seem dubious, but we've been spoofed many times and don't want to waste our time with trolls or mislead sincere inquirers.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, boards in the 120 liter range are definitely too small for you to start the sport and work in the lighter wind range you highlighted. Also, I have to agree with Craig that it would be wise to spend some time on a beginner board and rig to pick up the fundamentals. However, I understand your interest in getting a board that will be fast and exciting once you've got a little experience under your belt. I would recommend checking out the larger Futura, and particularly the new JP Superlight Wind. The latter board is light wind high performance board over 160 liters that should work much better at your weight. Check out the video on the link. Needless to say, more advanced boards like the JP or the 147 liter Futura will represent quite a challenge to master even after some time with a beginner rig. Then, after some time on the water, you can then focus on the 120 liter range for higher wind conditions. For the wind range you've cited, you'll really want a 2 board quiver overall.

http://jp-australia.com/2013/products/boards/super-lightwind/

http://www.star-board.com/2013/products/boards/index.php?id=ultrasonic

Good luck, and welcome to the sport!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

team rider for exocet.

again, buyer beware of double concave hulls that carry it too far aft. great for top end control, not great for early planing. for those in higher wind venues, one may not notice the lack of early planing, esp if one puts tons of sail aloft. i tend to rig just enough sail, and pump my brains out during the lulls.

my mentor Steve G. wants me to tell the good, bad and ugly about his stuff to him and everyone else. been testing with the WS Mag forever. they wanted to hear the same. if everyone did that, the whole, "he lacks cred, because he's selling," may go away? it's a very small world, windsurfing. i try to help everyone see what i see.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: