myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui sail repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uchida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Maui sail repair Reply with quote

Just returned from a 16 day trek to Maui. Sailed everyday, albeit a couple of very light wind days that were offset by a couple of 4.6 days. All things considered, a great trip; good sailing, good food, great camaraderie. Unfortunately I broke a 3 year old Chinook carbon boom and tore 2 sails. I ended up getting a Chinook Pro 1 Alloy boom to replace the carbon boom. I used it with sails from 4.6 to 5.4 and never felt any difference except I have $425 more in my pocket. The sails weren’t too badly damaged. The stitching gave way in a X-ply window on one and the clear mylar window tore on another. A friend of mine that lives on Maui directed me to Tom Hammerton at Kanaha Kai on Amala St. which is just a few minutes from Kanaha Beach Park. Tom works for Hot Sails Maui. I was able to pick up the sails the next day. Not only was the repair top notch, it was very reasonably priced. Tom’s a very nice gentleman and if you should be in need of any type of sail repair while on Maui I HIGHLY recommend his services. All in all a great trip made better by a true professional.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was windy/ sailable all 10 days this August when we were there. Only took a couple days off to Dive. Sailed 4.2-5.2 (74L-105L Bd's). Only negative is the waves were small.

I guess the statistic I saw was August blows 30/30 at least 15mph.
flaherty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there Aug 8 to Aug 25. Sailed every day. A few days at Kihei ,when Kanaha was light. Also some very flat days, but some swell days at uppers.
Then onto Kauai for 2 weeks, North Shore, totally different, not as much wind, but more swell. Leaving Kauai today.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice reflections on the sailing in Maui.

only thing is they don't have is Smuttynose IPA.

Tom is indeed a great fellow, the HotSails Team is top shelve

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sail is in Toms shop at Hot right now.
We are lucky to have a top sailmaker willing to patch us up. Reasonable, too.
When you buy Hot sails there you get the guy who designed the sail taking time to give you tips on rigging THAT exact sail.
Priceless.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui has been windy for the entire summer. Correction, Maui has been windy for the past 12 months. We even had our first ground swell which was pretty damn awesome a week ago. The wind swell is not too shabby either. Oh yeah, most important is that there are some amazing IPA's here on the island. We have our very own Maui Brew Big Swell but if your lucky and time it right you can pick up Torpedo and many other IPA brews for cheap at Costco. Tom is probably the best repair job on the island. Aloha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: