myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cable Park meeting with Hood River Port Commission tonight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phazle5499

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikorico writes:
"There is a lot in here. Keeping in mind the particular and unique circumstances of the Basin, Columbia, Hood River, and Bonneville Dam, after reading this I would still not lay claim one way or the other. It *might* be prudent to side your way as the attorney general *suggests*, but that does not mean it would be determined that way in a court in this specific case. Why is that so hard to understand?"

Not hard to understand at all nikorico. That's why there was a request made to the Port to join in seeking a declaratory judgment of the Ports ability to lease the water they do not own to the Naitos. (they only own the underlying [ie., submerged] land). I have never heard of any port "owning" the water. Last time I checked, a person had to own something before they could legally lease it.
btw, I'd be inclined to go with the Attorney General's opinion over what you think "might be prudent". Laughing

Anyway, since you don't have to spend anymore time on your ardent support of a cable park in the basin, you might enjoy reading up on the public use doctrine. Good luck.
jota

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frickin' amazing day the Hatch today, no?

Anyone have an opinion on which foot to put in the footstraps first, front or rear?
phazle5499

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK jota. I get your point. Lucky isobars has not chimed in on this topic ! Laughing
I promise--- ya, nada mas de mi.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. I've probably made 7-10 posts on this topic.

B. Wish the forecasts were worth crap! The places that were supposed to blow didn't, and the places that were not supposed to, did. Reacting to blown forecasts from 150 miles away sucks.
mikephillips2011

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was too windy for me today at the Hatchery so I sailed in the boat basin. Good thing there was no damn cable park blocking my way.

jota wrote:
jota

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phazle5499 wrote:
OK, OK jota. I get your point. . . .
I promise--- ya, nada mas de mi.

Feel free to carry on, really - just keepin' it real! I've enjoyed the thread.

(And it was an amazing morning! The basin was side-off and Mike was killin it!)
phazle5499

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Isobars, I enjoy your posts.
Now, about those footstraps..... Laughing
(footstraps ? Who needs frickin footstraps?? (just pulling your chain)
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't *believe* I'm biting on this. Sigh.

youwindsurf wrote:

Do tell all mighty Josh - You seem to know what the majority want. Did you conduct a poll of the citizens and visitors of Hood River to determine what they wanted and how they have fun? I doubt it, but if you did, please share the details.

I do happen to get around this town pretty well, thanks. What's your name? How many people did you poll?

Here's another thing to consider: given the demographics of people supporting the friends vs. supporting the cable park, it's clear that the vocal opponents come from demographic with 1) more disposable time and 2) more knowledge and experience with civic opposition.

The other battle was that many people who would be potentially pro-cable park (local families, upper valley residents, etc.) never had a chance to know what a cable park is, or really be given a reason to be involved.

I'm pretty sure a good majority of the opponents to the park showed up at meetings. I'm pretty sure a good majority of the proponents for the cable park couldn't make it. They're not retired. They have jobs and kids, or they ARE kids. They may have been summer residents, lessening their knowledge and participation in at-home civic matters.

Senior voters decide elections. Sadly, this isn't much different.

youwindsurf wrote:
Your proclamation sounds more like the self aggrandized statement of a narcissist who does not have the objective capacity to see any other point of view but his own. Nobody can have as much fun as a cable boarder.

Are you kidding me? Actually, I'm pretty good at acknowledging other points of view - including the one that paddling and kayaking need space too. I've *always* held the position that shared access is best, and work needs to be done to improve the entire waterfront for everyone. I've at many times suggested working together - no dice. Please be at least mildly familiar with my posting history on this topic before jumping in with the ad hominem attack. Otherwise, piss off. (That's a little more testy than I like to get on these forums, but then again, I've never been called a narcissist. Here, anyways. Women at the bar call me arrogant all the time, but that's a bit damn different than a narcissist. Your statement would have been slightly more defensible if you used "arrogant" instead of "narcissist. If you need some help next time, start here.)

youwindsurf wrote:

To speak in your terms, if the cable park was approved: It's the entire town of Hood River, its kids, and visitors, who got screwed so a few people could stand smugly on their wake boards and go round and round being pulled by a mechanical device.

I'm beginning to feel like a parrot because I do nothing but repeat myself around here...

1.) More people than used the basin than ever before.

2.) Shared access for paddlers, kayakers, and cable riders.

Sadly, it looks like this conversation is over, so I'm really going to try and not waste any more time on it.

But I really hope we get a highly improved basin by 2014.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com

Last edited by jsampiero on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phazle,

I would have been curious to see the court's interpretation of the public use doctrine.

I'm no lawyer, and neither are you - but I make a living off knowing what words mean - and it is by no means a stretch to see a court declaring the cable park perfectly valid within the public use doctrine. There are simply too many other examples of "exclusionary" use of public water.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikephillips2011 wrote:
It was too windy for me today at the Hatchery so I sailed in the boat basin. Good thing there was no damn cable park blocking my way.

jota wrote:

LOL! Me too! And I started with my front foot in the strap! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: