myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Surf, SUP & WS on the Big Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcevans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Surf, SUP & WS on the Big Island Reply with quote

I'm planning a 1 week trip to Hawaii (the Big Island) with my wife for the end of October. It's not a windsurf trip, if it was I'd be going to Maui.

I'm a begginer surfer (she dosen't surf), we've both done some flat water SUP, and if there is a WS option I'd love to know about it.

Any advice & reccomandations on places to go & where to rent gear.

Thanks!
pgoetz51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of lava, not much sand - I don't recall too many easy surf spots, although it wasn't a focus on our trips. You can probably rent an SUP in Kona somewhere these days. Lots of Hawaiian history on the west side, as Kona was Kamehameha's seat of power. Great snorkeling at Honaunau, crowded but worth it, get there early. <http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm> Rent a kayak and paddle across Kealakekua Bay to the snorkeling spot inside the point. Volcano Nat'l Park, Hilo, all good. I love the south end of the island. - You'll have a great time!
coyoteandre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please take this post out webmaster! This is windsurfing! We are talking here about life and death, not bullshit (foud it in dictionary) like this stupid post! Dear beginner windsurfer, take your wife to nearest motel and make sure your neighbours hear her, don't take her to Hawaii, that way you can save time and money to get yourself new sail and board, and don't post stupid things. We don't have time here for this shit.
tcevans

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyoteandre,

Why don't you go strand yourself in the middle of the bay, lie around on your board like a dead fish and hope the coast guard resuces you - again!
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful. Encouraging Andre to invite the services of the Coast Guard is like telling a child not to roller skate on the freeway. The slow kids will think it demonstrates bravery, when in reality the Darwin principle should intervene and take them out of the gene pool. Unfortunately for the rest of us, due to rescue services and medical science those kids - and Andre - will continue to live on. They will probably go on the blame others for their inevitable and highly foreseeable (at least for those with normal working brains) "emergency" situations. Later, they will brag about those emergencies as demonstrations of how cool and brave they were.

Windsurfing, like roller skating, should be about having fun and improving your skill set by setting personal goals and achieving them; not tempting death simply for the sake of the rush. Any idiot can stand in front of a train - or take a long straight reach toward Alameda without bothering or learning how to turn around. These activities are not cool and they demonstrate a complete lack of understanding that one's actions affect others. Sort of like Andre's post here, wherein he hijacked a perfectly reasonable thread about water sports on the big island.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out the place they cal A-Bay. Here is a link:

http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/anaehoomalu-bay/

I was there last October and on the last day there I would have been on a 5.0 if I had gear. There were a bunch of kiters enjoying it tho, and after asking around I was referred to one of the kiters who supposedly had gear to rent. I had no time and her gear was 7 miles away, but if you were to arrange something early you might score a session. Wish I had.

I also SUP'd that bay and it was spectacular. Went up and down the coast and was in water that was 60' deep, and you could see all the way to the bottom. There was a SUP break on the south end of A-Bay and a surfer break at the other end.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: