myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Speaking of Open Oceans....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
The trouble with custom boards is that they are "made to Order", so there is actually no truly accurate way of telling what volume a particular board is. Each person who purchases an Open Ocean gets to discuss with Brian how the board is to be made. Width, rocker, tail shape, bottom shape, weight of rider, is it to be sailed at the Hatch, or at Stevenson. A 5.0 sail or a 4.2 sail. And to top it all off, volume is not a particularly good way to determine how a board will act on the water, except for when you are slogging. Rocker and width are just as important, if not more so.

Thus when you see an Open Ocean for sale odds are that the only way you will find out if the board is appropriate for your requirements, is to buy it and see.

If you really want an OO, I suggest that you go and have Brian make you a board. He should be running a special by now, and he will make you a board that you will love, first time. That's what I did, and the first time I rode it I loved it.

KMF

The slogging part is the problem, otherwise its generally ok. Id love to get a custom one, but I cant even afford a used one. I intended to find something in the 80L range when I saw this one and thought it was worth a try.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wind is blowing, and your slogging......

Rig a bigger sail!

KMF
westender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMF,, that board you sold at the swap with the yellow,,, what's your volume rating on that one????? Compared to your Starboard??

To keep this OT, yes Brian is the Master of repairs. One of my new never wet OO's was crunched by some A hol'e Kook's flying rig at The Event Site. It's a good thing I wasn't there to see it happen. Evil or Very Mad
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
The trouble with custom boards is that they are "made to Order", so there is actually no truly accurate way of telling what volume a particular board is. Each person who purchases an Open Ocean gets to discuss with Brian how the board is to be made. Width, rocker, tail shape, bottom shape, weight of rider, is it to be sailed at the Hatch, or at Stevenson. A 5.0 sail or a 4.2 sail. And to top it all off, volume is not a particularly good way to determine how a board will act on the water, except for when you are slogging. Rocker and width are just as important, if not more so.

Thus when you see an Open Ocean for sale odds are that the only way you will find out if the board is appropriate for your requirements, is to buy it and see.

If you really want an OO, I suggest that you go and have Brian make you a board. He should be running a special by now, and he will make you a board that you will love, first time. That's what I did, and the first time I rode it I loved it.

KMF

What he said. Very Happy

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone has an orgasm, and for the sake of lurkers who may feel inclined to order any custom brand based on unquestioned internet chatter, remember that preferences matter and nobody's perfect. Do thy homework.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Before anyone has an orgasm, and for the sake of lurkers who may feel inclined to order any custom brand based on unquestioned internet chatter, remember that preferences matter and nobody's perfect. Do thy homework.

Oh oh ooooooh! Too late! We already have our OO's Wink

kmf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased that OO from Brian, I weighed 185 lbs, if I skipped a beer the day before. I specified that I wanted to use the board from 3.8 to 5.0. And I let him design the rest as he saw fit. The board worked perfectly from day one. I used it in those conditions for five years. I weighed 84 KGs at the time, and I was able to slog it in, if and only if there was some wind in the sail. Considering that now my weight is 68 kgs and on my Starboard Kode 68 I am just able to slog in if and only if there is some wind in the sail, My guess is that the 8'2" OO was around 85 liters. Give or take a couple, since it was quite a bit wider than my Kode is, (53,5 cm...21.25 inches)

KMF
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
If the wind is blowing, and your slogging......

Rig a bigger sail!

KMF

I usually rig big to begin with...but sometimes they let little kids play with the wind switch out here Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I usually rig big to begin with ...

The more posts I see from you, the more I like your thinking. 30 or 40 days every year "the fleet" rig 4.7s, 4.2s, even 3.7s, shaking their heads at the 6.2 I'm rigging because it's averaging 20 mph ... comparable to 16-17 at the Hatchery. We launch. I sail for hours, underpowered at first, then powered as the wind slowly builds, until at some point I'm hunting for a bit less wind. By the time the excess power is making me miss some jibes and hesitate to dive off some of the lips sheeted in, and I decide to refuel and rig down, the fleet has achieved a handful of rides and slogged across the river many times, rigged up 1, 2, or even 3 times in an attempt to plane consistently, and are now rigging back down again, to the same damn 3.7s-4.7s they started with hours ago. It's 10:00 AM, and I've already gotten in 2 to 4 hours of good WSing on many, sometimes most, of them. Many of these folks have 10 or even 20 years of WSing on you, yet you've already passed many of them in this discovery.

Yeah, I get bit if the wind ramps up so fast that by the time I get rigged the average wind has gone from 20 mph to 30 mph. That's fairly rare, having to rig down is a GOOD thing, and that leaves my 6.2 ready to plug and play when the wind backs off again; win, win, win.

To think many of these people STILL wonder why I rig big! You already understand what many of them still don't, including that SLOGGING SUCKS and in 5.0 winds a 6.0 is far more fun than a 4.0 (especially on a sinker in varying winds, which is well over 99% of my sailing).
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're awesome Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: