myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
1st Weekend to sail in Boston area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: 1st Weekend to sail in Boston area. Reply with quote

Just looked at the marine forcast for Dennis this Sat/Sun N 10-15 gusts to 20. I just moved to Concord so thats were I would be driving from. I'm cool with liter wind exploring on the Equipe or AHD GT85 plus I have Tabou Rocket 135 I can go smaller too.

So where should I go? Nahant was only 10-15.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nahant could be good, side shore with some waves. Pleasure bay Boston , is good flat water riding with north wind. Duxbury is also good with north wind. If you hit the cape, Chapin is the best with north, but I think you may want to avoid low tide, others may be more familiar with Chapin than myself.

We have a great group of riders on the north shore that try to hook up whenever the wind is blowing. Most windy days there is a group at Pleasure Bay(anything but west wind is good) come on down and sail with us and we can get you in the chat group (Lake Quannapowitt google group), Dave who facilitates the group , sails there most windy days.

Matt
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say north shore, do you mean Essex Plum Island area? Thanks for thr post btw.
Been reading the various threads for Boston sailing since we decided to move to Concord.
Spent the summer sailing mostlly 10-15 on Lake Erie near Buffalo. Lightest wind summer I can remember.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By North Shore I mean anything north of Boston, I should have said general Boston area, many of us live north of Boston , but some others are from suburbs west and south of Boston. That's why Pleasure Bay is where we meet most often, it's easy to get to from all locations. Plum island is a tricky spot, stick with Nahant, and Revere beach if you want ocean sailing in a safer more popular environment .
zeppy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ok with flat water, Pleasure Bay is great and easy to access. It's often one of the windiest spots when it's blowing South/Southwest and there are almost always people there to sail with. You can sail in the Bay or out in the Harbor (which I prefer, but fewer people seem to sail there) if you want a bit more chop. Squantum is good on a Northwest day for bump and jump. Nahant is a great place to go for wave sailing when there's swell, works in most directions when it's windy (except maybe West, which is pretty much directly offshore). Hopefully, it's going to start getting windy again as we get into Fall. Last year, I was able to sail through the winter with a 5/4 wetsuit, since it was so mild.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: