myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rescue off Coyote Point 10pm Sept-08, San Mateo, California
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite surprised at how cold I got during a paddle in at 3rd that lasted about 1 hour and 45 minutes several years ago. It was late summer with relatively warm winds and water, ending at dusk, with about a 3mm wetsuit that was just fine for summer surfing in the santa cruz area--but no booties or hood, if I remember correctly. Didn't realize how tired and cold I had gotten until I actually was taking the suit off in the parking lot...
Try to use a bit more wetsuit that you think you will need, and maybe it will help during a breakdown.
surfskimd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. I have had numerous wind die offs/ breakdowns/swims in the 3rd channel over the years. for a short while I even wore a shorty during July and August as I see some sailors still do. After a universal joint failure and subsequent tow in during which I was only in the water for 45 minutes; ,I learned my lesson. You need to have enough rubber to allow you to survive the 2 or 3 hour swim or rescue that you will be faced with when the inevitable happens. shorties are great in close to shore or if nothing happens; but when it does, hypothermia sets in quickly if you dont have enough wetsuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: