myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
West Dennis Beach yesterday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And THIS happened yesterday at West Dennis!

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120912/NEWS/209120319

Hey, they better not have released the pup into the bouyed and signed DESIGNATED SWIM AREA!

Don't they realize grey seals attract GREAT WHITES! Laughing Laughing
jkrug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was kiting at WD on Saturday. I haven't kited at WD since early spring, long before the buoys were in, so i admit though i've kited there for many years, i wasn't paying much attention to buoys or rules because i thought it was off-season. i actually kited along the shore east of the 'normal' launch area...where people swim, but there weren't any swimmers at first. as the day went on, the swimmers showed up, and suddenly i realized i was in their midsts, so i stopped going down there.

shortly thereafter, i saw a cop on the beach and the boat w/lights, and grounded myself to ask him the story. there was a windsurfer there arguing with the disinterested cop, and the wsurfer was basically saying the restriction was unreasonable. i said we'll do what we're told to do, and left the 'conversation'. i cannot imagine arguing with a cop in that situation. it was pretty easy to get out anyway going in the other direction, so it's nonsense to say this restricted our fun at all.

i spent a good portion of the day out by the rock pile...alone. nice waves, and like phil said, looking in was pretty crazy at all the activity and i wondered why everyone clusters like that (to be fair, there are still a lot of beginners at WD, and i think that's part of the problem).

anyway, i'm posting mostly to apologize to phil and others at WD because i feel my kiting early in the day by the swimmers-area showed bad judgement, regardless of my belief it was off-season rules and the initial lack of swimmers. with the first sign of swimmers i should have stopped being there, period. hopefully my presence didn't initiate the calls to the police, but it's pretty stupid that i put myself in a position to even have to wonder.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..... I get a call from the Dennis cheif of police today.
He had a meeting with several department heads including; beaches, harbor master and others regulating the chaos at west Dennis on Saturday.
There was talk of how to regulate the activities at the beach.
He stated several times that there is no off season for the swimming area.
This has Always been the case. There has never been an off season change in rules regarding the swimming area.
He is not in favor of a permitting system for water activities at the beach.
He is asking to meet with me to see of we can come up with a way that we can self police and make sure that the access to the beach is for everyone.
Even though the town does not charge for parking after labor day, it is still town property and they have responsibilities to Make sure it is a safe place.
I am hoping we can meet and he can go back to the other heads of departments in the town and assure them that further action is not necessary.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the chief to be a very reasonable man, and I explained to him the perfect storm that occurred on Saturday. This eased his mind and was glad to hear that there was some causation to the chaos.
I feel fairly confident that our meeting will go well and that we will not have to deal with a permitting system at west Dennis.
For this to happen, we are going to need to be stewards of the beach, we are going to have to tell people to stay out of the swimming area and do so ourselves.
If we cannot..... Well, expect changes.

There were several complaints from tax payers in the town who hold more cards than those who are not, my guess is fewer than most including myself own property in the town of Dennis.
These are the people whos trust we need to earn in order to keep our ability to
Visit and use their property.

Suggestions as to how to regain the trust of the citizens would be appreciated.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Philip Mann and I approve this message
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beach clean up day, never hurts.

Last edited by mat-ty on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
WaterKook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a keg party at chair nine with free beer would work well.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually he mentioned the keg thing as being a good idea.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean, Sail, Drink
jkrug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's kind of funny in that in Florida, there can be a ton of kiters intermixed with swimmers, waves crashing right on shore, sharks and jellyfish everywhere, yet there are virtually no problems or complaints. i guess down there the concept of personal responsibility still exists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: