myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Speaking of Open Oceans....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PennyB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Speaking of Open Oceans.... Reply with quote

I damaged one of my OO boards. It is an older board and I am not the original owner. I took it in for Brian to repair the wreckage and he pointed out a significant delamination problem. He repaired it for free and made it look beautiful again to boot. AWESOME! Thanks so much, Brian!!!

Penny
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Not surprising to me. GOOD Customer service keeps customers and makes new ones.
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny, that's really nice to hear. But again, not surprising, but for a different reason than noshuzbluz stated. I am not (yet!) an Open Ocean owner, although I have many friends who think extremely highly of them. We visited Brian to demo one, and he was SO generous with his time and knowledge. He also listens extremely carefully to his customer's needs. So this kind of excellent and old-fashioned service is not surprising at all, and a testament to this gentleman's commitment to his customers and his art.
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny, that's really nice to hear. But again, not surprising, but for a different reason than noshuzbluz stated. I am not (yet!) an Open Ocean owner, although I have many friends who think extremely highly of them. We visited Brian to demo one, and he was SO generous with his time and knowledge. He also listens extremely carefully to his customer's needs. So this kind of excellent and old-fashioned service is not surprising at all, and a testament to this gentleman's commitment to his customers and his art.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad_dolphin wrote:

Sounds like GREAT customer service to me! Wink

mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also speaking of Open Oceans.... Im selling mine if anyone is interested. Its fun to ride but Im tired of losing my voice everytime I ride it Laughing Its just too small for me. To be honest its too responsive/turny for me, when im on a board this small things are getting wild and its survival time and I need a bit of autopilot, for a smaller person it would be much more fun. Its an 8'2, 1994 with modern track and around 75L . It was custom designed for a woman and would be an ideal all around board for someone around 120lb and a great high wind board for someone closer to 185. Its been well used and repaired a few times but its solid and not waterlogged. Looking to get $80 minus fin (but with thrusters). Id also be interested in trades for other older glass boards closer to 85L with modern track placement.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
Its just too small for me. To be honest its too responsive/turny for me, when im on a board this small things are getting wild and its survival time and I need a bit of autopilot, for a smaller person it would be much more fun. Its an 8'2, 1994 with modern track and around 75L .

If it really is ~ 75 L, it's not too small for you, per se ... it's too small for your current skill level. However, I believe I saw that one in the CGWA fleet, and it looked very small ... more like 60 than 75 liters. While that's doable at 200#, it's a ton of work, requires a lot of experience to ride, and compared to a genuine 75 liters, offers no advantages to offset its obvious disadvantages. You would have zero problem sailing a good 75L Gorge or wave board any time you had moderately reliable 3.7 to 5.7 wind ... ~4.0-5.0 on an OO 75.

Don't forget that this year's wind has sucked in the quality department. Let's hope that improves next year.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
Also speaking of Open Oceans.... Im selling mine if anyone is interested. Its fun to ride but Im tired of losing my voice everytime I ride it Laughing Its just too small for me. To be honest its too responsive/turny for me, when im on a board this small things are getting wild and its survival time and

I'd keep it if I were you. That board will be your best friend when you get a little better. It was designed for Gorge conditions. I've lost my voice too but it was from Hootin' and Hollerin' from having so much fun! YeeeeHAW! Very Happy

mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:

I'd keep it if I were you. That board will be your best friend when you get a little better. It was designed for Gorge conditions. I've lost my voice too but it was from Hootin' and Hollerin' from having so much fun! YeeeeHAW! Very Happy

Quote:

If it really is ~ 75 L, it's not too small for you, per se ... it's too small for your current skill level. However, I believe I saw that one in the CGWA fleet, and it looked very small ... more like 60 than 75 liters. While that's doable at 200#, it's a ton of work, requires a lot of experience to ride, and compared to a genuine 75 liters, offers no advantages to offset its obvious disadvantages. You would have zero problem sailing a good 75L Gorge or wave board any time you had moderately reliable 3.7 to 5.7 wind ... ~4.0-5.0 on an OO 75.

Don't forget that this year's wind has sucked in the quality department. Let's hope that improves next year.

It might be smaller, thats just a guess. It is pretty narrow. It seems to require so much power to get going that im inevitably overpowered once I get going, and any slack in the wind leaves me swimming. Im inclined to agree that the disadvantage outweigh the advantages, my logosz spoon is closer to 80L and is much more friendly. Im ok with keeping it and trying it again later if no one wants it right now, but I think it would be much more enjoyable to a smaller person. In the meantime ill keep looking for a 80-85L OO...
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with custom boards is that they are "made to Order", so there is actually no truly accurate way of telling what volume a particular board is. Each person who purchases an Open Ocean gets to discuss with Brian how the board is to be made. Width, rocker, tail shape, bottom shape, weight of rider, is it to be sailed at the Hatch, or at Stevenson. A 5.0 sail or a 4.2 sail. And to top it all off, volume is not a particularly good way to determine how a board will act on the water, except for when you are slogging. Rocker and width are just as important, if not more so.

Thus when you see an Open Ocean for sale odds are that the only way you will find out if the board is appropriate for your requirements, is to buy it and see.

If you really want an OO, I suggest that you go and have Brian make you a board. He should be running a special by now, and he will make you a board that you will love, first time. That's what I did, and the first time I rode it I loved it.

KMF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: