myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
the Delta for the summer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: the Delta for the summer Reply with quote

Hi,
I am looking for information on where to stay in the Delta for next summer (July and August). Looked into renting a travel trailer, but could only find a rental place in Stockton that wants 100 dollars a day. waaay too much.

any info would be much appreciated. I've also emailed the rvwa for info, but any info would help.

thanks,
DennisG
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free camping at Powerlines and Access if you stay inside your car/van or pitch a simple tent leeward of your car. Amenites are spartan, like 2 porta potties, that's it.
Pay campgrounds all around 27 bucks a night, with hookups and hot water.
How much creature comforts do you need?
mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want post your request on the Southwest forum. Rio Viento campground (www.rioviento.com) is very nice. It may be worth contacting them to see if they know of anyone local who would rent a trailer or motorhome.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Yes, thank you. I am looking into renting a trailer for 6 weeks. I've also thought about getting an apartment or something similar for the summer.

LeeD,
at my age (57 - which isn't that old compared to lots of others who windsurf) I feel like I want to be really comfortable at night.

thanks for the replies.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends who RV it in the Pay Access lot for 2 months, and some who have RV's and choose to park at the campground in Sherman with electrical hookups, running water, and pay showers.
Lots of my friends stay a week at a time at free Access or Powerlines. I think most drive into town every other day or so for amenities. Nice to have a power brunch, hot coffee, and brush your teeth every few days.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, post it on the southwest forum. I think it would be fun to stay at the sherman island park (the access) where a lot of people stay all summer in trailers or vans. You'd have the commeraderie. There's also the sign where people stay all summer in trailers but I don't windsurf there so don't know the scene. What doesn't appeal to me about that place is the trek across the street with your gear and the hang out on the water area is small and right on the side of the road. I like the park (end of the road) where there's lots of room to roam and get out of the wind. Maybe you could buy a trailor and then sell it. Nicest camp host ever too- Indian Bob and his nice wife. Nearby Rio Vista town isn't really happening much for the apt. idea in my opinion- never heard of windsurfers living there but I could be wrong. There's some houses near the windsurfing areas - don't know about renting- maybe you could call Derek at Delta Windsurf and ask him to post a note at the shop for a rental for a room or a trailor. Maybe you could write one yourself and mail it to him.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing - about Rio Venita- in my opinion it's too manicured and noowhere to get out of the wind. I think it's pretty pricey too. Go west young man- for the down to earth area in my opinion (end of the road- Sherman Island Park).
mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

As I said in a reply to your thread last October don't limit your self to Sherman Island. The SF bay area has other really great sites all within an hour or two. You could use Sherman Island as a base and take a few day or overnight trips.

Mark
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some info posted on this topic is incorrect, unless things have changed from a year ago.

The access is a Sacramento park, it costs to use it as a day use area, and camp further in , to camp technically you need a trailer or motor home, TENTs are not permitted, but are hidden away in the trees/brush.

Their is a time restriction on length of camping, then you have to vacate, for 2 ? days, then you can go back.

RVWA the club, if you belong you can camp at the Sign, or Powerlines, for extended stays they want at least a donation, meaning more than a weekend

the area just outside the park, while I have seen tents there , no camping is permitted.

people do park/camp along the levee road.

rio viento is very pricy.

the town of Rio Vista is small, its possible to find a house rental or room but rather unlikely. There is a trailor park on the levee road, so possible to find a rental there.

Brannan Island state park has camping about 20--30minutes away, closer to powerlines or the sign. 36' limit on campers, unsure if they have hookups.

Lodi is about 30mins away, rental house maybe, the Antioch/Pittsburg areas are across the toll bridge, same, more hotels there.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the great info. up to now I've been looking at a trailer rental and a place at Rio Viento that would cost around 4G's for 6 weeks.

Haven't gotten a reply from the RVWA yet.

Anyone know if a pop up camper is appropriate given wind conditions? I can pick one up here fairly inexpensively this time of year, then would have to tow it out there, or I guess I could find one on Craigslist in Cali and pick it up once I get out there.

I really, really want to make this happen, so thanks for all the information.

going to an ABK camp this weekend, so will pump them for information also., really don't want to sleep on the ground for 6 weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: