myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Open Ocean how many liters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I know you have a special stick. My comment was regarding the OP who got a 8'1 OO for 5-6m at his weight compared to my quiver and my weight.

The 8'4 is my 5.0 board and I can go up or down a sail size from there but for my 5'7 I always use a bigger board. I go to the short board for 4'0 and below.

The volume ratings are too confusing.
noshuzbluz wrote:

Hey Westender.

Ah. I gotcha. Well, the lighter, bigger ones can be had! Wink

Waterlou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about building a tank for testing board volumes. Everyone with Realwind, North Pacific, Cascade or others can actually find out what their board volumes are, once and for all.

I could have it together by next summer so anyone that wants to know will have the ability to actually know what the volume really is, and I'm in Hood River for everyone's convenience on no wind days.

I know that some of you won't want the test because it's cool to ride a really small board, but there is so much more to it than length and width, which is what most guesses are based on. Maybe this will confirm that the board you ride is actually as small as you think.

I'll keep you posted.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! Just need a swimming pool, portable inflatable, dunk board, see where the waterline goes, then remove board, fill as much water as the waterline.
I have a "73" liter Tiga that seems 79 liters.
I have a JPSlalom"84', that seems 79.
I have a Seatrend 8'6" that seems 80, as listed.
I have a JPFSW84 that seems as listed.
I have a JPWave251 that seems 78, as listed.
I have a Seatrend 251ATV that seems 73, listed at 75.
I have a RogueWave 8'8", nose cut off, that seems 80, but is 49.5 wide.
I have NaishSuperCross "94" that seems 86
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1996, I've owned three 8'2" OO tri-fins that were 21 1/2" wide, and they were each about about 80 liters. I have to agree that in the past Brian tended to market his boards by their length and width rather than by volume. We have to remember though that Brian makes custom boards, so each customer can change some things to better suit their needs. That said, my 8'2"s were very solid from 4.2 up to 5.5. However, in using the 5.5, I found that moving the universal an inch or so forward of center worked best for me.

I also have a 7'10" OO tri-fin that is about 19 1/2" wide and maybe 65 liters, but I've only sailed it with my 4.2. It's my board for when it's really nuking. I would guess the biggest sail it would comfortably handle would be in the 4.5-4.7 range.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I cared, I'd measure thickness and width every inch or two inches, calculate the resulting area of each cross-section adjusting for the curvature by eye*, add 'em up and multiply by your spacing (one or two inches), and there's your volume.

* You could fine tune that estimate by sketching or even transferring a template of a X-section or three on gridded paper. The more you really care (you don't, really) how accurate your estimate is, the more time and precision you put into the process. Heck, you could get real fancy and precise and do it all in the metric system from the get-go rather than just converting cubic inches to liters after you're done.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the signs of too big of a sail? Im tempted to try a 5.7 on my 8'2 OO. The 5.7 works great (according to me) on my 7'8" logosz spoon...but it might be a good bit longer if it had a conventional nose. Is width near the mast track what really matters?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much sail makes the nose plow, maybe even pearl.
summertime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"like" on the tank to measure board volume and also the swimming pool way. LMAO on the isobars measuring thickness and width every couple couple inches....!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya make do ... and may achieve comparable or possibly better accuracy ... when ya don't have a pool or a tank handy.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Ocean 8-0 x 21" wide, pretty much Brian's standard 8-0 for sailor weight 75 kg (which is me). Don't know the volume but educated guess is 75 liters. I do know it is perfectly fine with 4.7/5.0. This is my board of choice for 4.7 Gorge sailing. At 5.3 the extra swing weight of the sail tends to make underpowered jibing a bit tricky, but if powered up, the board takes the 5.3 ok. But normally if I size up to 5.3 I go up to a bigger board anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: