myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Open Ocean how many liters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 185lbs. My 8'2" is 22" wide. I sail 4.5/5.2 on it and could probably sneak as big as 5.5 if I had to but that's when I switch to my 8'4" at 23" that I use the 5.2/6.0. I like having the overlap. The 2 sizes sail a little differently although lately I'm running the big board without the side fins. I think it's more so of the different construction (8'4" is the light epoxy model with vent plug) than it is the the side fins. I dunno enough about all this board building stuff elaborate on the construction. All I know is it's way different than Brians traditional "Enduro" Gorge boards.
Thanks you sir, may I have another?! Three's a charm!

stringp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy at the swap meet told me the 8'1" was about 90l. I was too stupid to know better. I would estimate the 8'6" to be between 90 to 100l. Should be able to put a 5.7 on that. My GF has a large OO and rides 5.7 all the time.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 6.5 should be a piece of cake on a 90 liter X 24" board, so the 5.7 is a cinch.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian estimated my 8'4" to be about 90-95 liters but has told me more than once that there is too much emphasis put on volume. It's more of where you put it. I'm curious as to what we're going to do on the website to explain it. I think it's obvious we all talk volume because it seems to be the best way to describe a board "size". Back in the days before the short/fat boards where around I don't ever remember talking volume first about a particular board before length and rocker. It was either "I need a 9' Slalom board" or "I need a 8'2" wave or BnJ board"
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Brian estimated my 8'4" to be about 90-95 liters but has told me more than once that there is too much emphasis put on volume. It's more of where you put it. I'm curious as to what we're going to do on the website to explain it. I think it's obvious we all talk volume because it seems to be the best way to describe a board "size". Back in the days before the short/fat boards where around I don't ever remember talking volume first about a particular board before length and rocker. It was either "I need a 9' Slalom board" or "I need a 8'2" wave or BnJ board"

Hes somewhat right there, I can stand on my 2009 95L FSW with nearly no wind behind the mast, on my old BIC tempo, which is also 95L, Ill sink like a rock if I try that. I think a general idea is still useful though. Volume seems a better measurement than length to me, reshape the nose a tiny bit and you can cut off a few inches without affecting the board in any other way.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno....
Just yesterday, rode my 8'8" RogueWave, maybe 79 liters. I cut off the nose in spite of myself. It floated the same as before, just barely, in 3mph breeze. It's now 7'8" x 49.5 cm wide.
About the same as my other 80 liter boards.
My 227x55 JPSlalom barely floats better, at a listed 84, but it's less, because I have several other mid 80's volume boards that float better.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OO with a 5.7! Sure.

My small board is 8'. Brian said my 8.4 was 85 but when I compare it to a 84? JP Super X, no way in Hell is my 8.4 anywhere close to 85 or the JP is actually 95+.

Got a 8.8 huge hi wind slalom OO that is nice on a 5.7 and I'm 155.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
OO with a 5.7! Sure.

My small board is 8'. Brian said my 8.4 was 85 but when I compare it to a 84? JP Super X, no way in Hell is my 8.4 anywhere close to 85 or the JP is actually 95+.

Got a 8.8 huge hi wind slalom OO that is nice on a 5.7 and I'm 155.

Hey Westender. I don't think my 8'4" is the same design and construction as yours. I've used a 6.0 with it before and it was fine. It feels like every bit of 95 ltrs to me. Talk to Brian. He's got some new things going on. This board is very light compared to his Enduro boards which brings up another topic he wants to address on the website. Weight. Which I know he's probably told you that there is too much emphasis put on. My 8'2" is heavier than my 8'4" by a long shot but when it's blowing 30+ do you really want to be on a 13 pound board? I wouldn't.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When boards went wider a few years ago, Boards Magazine tried very hard and analytically to generate a single parameter to replace or supplement volume. They gave up. Just the differences between Stubby and Traditional alone were too big a challenge; they decided that adding volume distribution rendered the task practically unsolvable.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you have a special stick. My comment was regarding the OP who got a 8'1 OO for 5-6m at his weight compared to my quiver and my weight.

The 8'4 is my 5.0 board and I can go up or down a sail size from there but for my 5'7 I always use a bigger board. I go to the short board for 4'0 and below.

The volume ratings are too confusing.
noshuzbluz wrote:

Hey Westender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: