myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
DC area sailing tomorrow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdk1234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: DC area sailing tomorrow Reply with quote

Anyone in the DC area sailing in the strong southerlies tomorrow? I'm thinking Sandy Point, any other reccos?
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC not my area, but thanks for the heads up.

Even this morning CC was not forecasted to get decent winds, now it looks like 20-25 - the weather is a change'n.

RC
justall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to post the same. Looks like a good southerly flow, though the various forecasts are mixed on timing and speed. Also, it looks like there could be a thunderstorm at the tail end of the push ... So got to hit it early and then head for cover. I was thinking Belle Haven Marina or Mason Neck to save some drive time, but I will check the forecasts in the morning. Has anyone recently been to these locations with a comment on how the weeds are this year?

Decisions, decisions ... It does look like Sandy Point will have 4+mph more than the Potomac sites ... But then there may be very high jelly fish concentration at Sandy Point ( http://chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/forecasting-sea-nettles) ... Anyone been to Sandy Point recently to comment on that?
sdk1234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Mason Neck is sailable with south winds, check windsurfresource.com.
justall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point ... I think Mason Neck is generally good with any westerly contribution, which we won't have tomorrow. Hmm ... I also just read that the MD seafood festival is at Sandy Point tomorrow and they talk about shuttle buses ( could it really fill that lot?)
sdk1234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip. I never sailed Breezy Point or Bayfront Park but that might be my other option.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have been considering those as well. But, today, unless the wind looks like it just won't be enough on the Potomac, I think I am going to stay closer to home and try Leesylvania State Park (or maybe Belle Haven if someone posts with a favorable weed report). Thinking 11 or noon arrival.

If Chesapeake looks to be the only option when I hit the driver seat, may see you on the Bay.

Either way let's let this group know how the sessions go.
sdk1234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at Sandy point, line to get in but plenty of parking by the launch area. Llooks good enough for my 6.6.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was Sandy Point today? I went to Leesylvania State Park for the first time. Pretty good for S winds. Started with a 7.5, but very quickly switched to a well-powered 6.2. (125 l, 160 lbs, 42cm) Surprising that there was only one other person out. Was derigged and exiting before the southerly flow turned northerly ... with a nearly 60 mph blow in between.

I would give a thumbs-up to Leesylvania ... Not too far off 95, easy launch, very wide point of the river, very few weeds (used a regular fin) .... and enough boat traffic around to give you a tow if you broke down.
sdk1234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy Point was good, solid 20+ MPH until the front moved through. Stuck with my 6.6 though overpowered at times.

I've been thinking about sailing Leesylvania with the right conditions, now I know.

Off to Dewey Beach next weekend and Maui the following weekend to get my wavesailing fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: