myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
the big lie "the media is liberal"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
NW30,

I don't know about you, but in my experience, health insurance prices have varied over the years, and that it's rare to pay the same rate year to year. I've had some years go up, while in later years come down, and that's with the same insurance company. To blame everything on the ACA is specious and hardly the truth.

Insure everyone, no pre existing conditions, premiums will drop, you can keep you doctor and plan.
You really bought that promise of medical insurance nirvana? Pencil it out, it's impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You've never heard the saying that "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't"? Really?
Sorry, but a bit over 100% increase over the last 4 years, is not a product of normal health insurance business. Get a clue.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to shop plans. My insurance stayed the same for better coverage the first year. I Just got a notice that it was going up 70% this year. Found another plan for nearly half the cost. All the same coverage.

Do not trust insurance companies to be fair....that has not changed!
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
swchandler wrote:
NW30,

I don't know about you, but in my experience, health insurance prices have varied over the years, and that it's rare to pay the same rate year to year. I've had some years go up, while in later years come down, and that's with the same insurance company. To blame everything on the ACA is specious and hardly the truth.

Insure everyone, no pre existing conditions, premiums will drop, you can keep you doctor and plan.
You really bought that promise of medical insurance nirvana? Pencil it out, it's impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You've never heard the saying that "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't"? Really?
Sorry, but a bit over 100% increase over the last 4 years, is not a product of normal health insurance business. Get a clue.

Spill the details Shark Bait. Who is the provider? Same provider 4 years ago as today? Describe your policy coverage and annual premium cost from 4 years ago and your policy coverage and annual premium cost today. Is your policy from 4 years ago exactly the same as your policy today only it costs 100% more? I doubt it.

And your claim of increased health insurance premiums is the only thing that big government did that had a direct negative impact on you?
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead said:
Quote:
You may want to shop plans. My insurance stayed the same for better coverage the first year. I Just got a notice that it was going up 70% this year. Found another plan for nearly half the cost. All the same coverage.

My wife is retired and 9 months from Medicare. She went off COBRA in July, so she had to shop for insurance from the only two companies offering insurance in NC (little competition here). She used a broker and bought a plan from BCBS. The number of plans and plan options was extensive and overwhelming. Deductibles, co-pays, ER coverage and dozens of other variable make it extremely hard to decide on a plan. The other catch is that all plans renew in January, so she had to buy a plan for 6 months and will have to buy another 6 month plan in January. Highly unlikely she will get through the deductible in 6 months so she decided on a lower premium and higher deductible plan hoping for good health.

Her BCBS plan is still more expensive than her COBRA and with a higher deductible, but trying to compare plans is apples and oranges because of the numerous variables.

You and I and our taxes are helping cover the cost of those 315,000 in NC that will receive tax credits because they bought subsidized insurance through Obama Care. Of course this is up in the air since the Supreme Court will be deciding whether government ACA exchanges can legally give tax credits since it's not specifically outlined in the plan. State exchanges - yes; Federal exchanges - ????? Maybe someone should have read the plan before voting on it.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - my wife just received notice from BCBS about her 2015 coverage. It's going up from $641 per month to $731 per month. And this is the high deductible low premium coverage. Such a deal...............................

Right after the printed new premium figure it says in bold print "Check to see if you have other options or can get a tax credit at: HealthCare.gov"
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bold print is required by law.

I am shopping (again) this year for insurance. My old policy is now off the exchange and, as I said, up by 70%. Today, just procured new insurance at a rate of less than last year's premiums by about 10%. So, considering prior to Ocare my rates were climbing 10% per year, I am not too unhappy.

What I am unhappy about is the way this thing is administered. My, newly fired, insurance agent claimed the rate increase on my old policy was due to "the government". Yet, her competition did not see increases in premiums. This is ridiculous that every year I need to rethink my insurance situation or, potentially, get ripped off.

The other issue is the varying rates by geographical location. My area has some of the highest rates in the country. This is due to a history of healthy young folks going without insurance. Only people that needed the insurance had it. So, it skewed the numbers. Yet, there is no administrative ability to look at regional situations, such as this.

Does this mean to me the whole ACA should be repealed? Of course not. The law completely changed the individual insurance marketplace and there is no way to eliminate the law without leaving a lot of folks in the lurch. But, can't our legislatures get together and clean it up a bit?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you'd like the Republicans to clean up the Democrats mess?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Today, just procured new insurance at a rate of less than last year's premiums by about 10%.

Um, hmm ... and how are your new coverage and deductibles?
And how will the upcoming 40% to 400% premium increases affect your tune ... especially considering that Obama was briefed on those increases in 2011?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
So you'd like the Republicans to clean up the Democrats mess?

Yes.

The healthcare system was on life support prior to the ACA. Bush, and a majority in both houses, sat around for six years while health care costs outpaced inflation by a significant margin. Cost shifting of medical expenses was a art form. I know...I did it. Insurance companies could cherry pick customers and cancel policies at will.

The government is on the hook for nearly 50% of health care costs. Do the numbers...healthcare costs have been almost ENTIRELY responsible for the growth of our deficit. I used to be a Republican. I thought it was the responsibility of my party to pay attention to an aspect of government spending that was this important. Nope...didn't.

So, the Dems wrote a law with too much bureaucracy...big surprise...But, at least they stepped up to the plate and addressed it. So, yes, I expect that the Republicans, with their obvious superior management abilities, will identify and tweak the deficiencies to an, originally, Republican healthcare plan.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. Not said is that it could have happened during the legislation development of the ACA if the Republicans had been willing to actually work with Obama.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 147 of 277

Jump to: