myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The most bang for your buck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: The most bang for your buck. Reply with quote

When working in a big city ski shop, I found that after a dump of snow in the mountains, some guys would come in looking for equipment. Usually they wanted the better stuff because they were interested in improving their experience, but wasn't it really a question of their dissatisfaction with their abilities and skills? I thought so. You should be buying your skis when the temps are in the 80's and 90's and making level headed choices, not after you just had a bang-up day on fresh snow. I see plenty in the news about how Americans have taken on too much debt, why should you and I be that stupid? Now hurricane sailing here on Cape Cod reminds me a lot of powder skiing in Vermont, it is rare. I remember sailing one a few years ago and being overpowered. There was another guy out, a good sailor, with whom I talked. He told me he ran a garage locally. I stopped in after a couple of weeks and discussed our experience. He went out and bought a new smaller i.e. tiny sail because he was overpowered. I don't think we have seen winds that high since. I know that sail has been gathering dust in his basement. You have to change a lot of oil to buy one. Now, I have too many fins, but I'm ready to buy another after sailing Isaac with a racing fin. I was pushed to my cardio-vascular limit Wednesday. Another fin would be more forgiving. However, I have a serous collection of equipment that cost plenty and does nothing but collect dust.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right.

However, fins are much cheaper than sails that might require extra rigging components. If you don't already have a fin sized for that specific sail, you should go for it! Twisted Evil
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
You are right.

However, fins are much cheaper than sails that might require extra rigging components. If you don't already have a fin sized for that specific sail, you should go for it! Twisted Evil
Actually, I do have fins sized for the sail given that it is my most used sail. I look at it and wonder how long will I go before I might buy a new one. At that point saving the money would be the best alternative. Then, referring to my personal situation some more, I did think out the predicament on Wednesday this morning, and decided that I was best sizing down with the board. Then I would have been using a more forgiving fin and board and getting my money's worth out of them. When I beached it was realized that I was spent for the session and a fellow sailor showed up giving me enough of a distraction not to press my luck. Generalizing, buying on impulse certainly isn't the best way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: