myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast Half's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurf23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Mast Half's Reply with quote

Yes, mast halves
not mast haves
Not must haves
I currently own a top half of a 2009 490 Fiberspar Reflex 4800 QT Freeride/Race. Anybody got a partner for it?
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have a collection of "top halves". It's the bottoms that break.

Good luck.
donwh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How true, I have some perfect Powerex Z Taper tops, looked for ages for bottoms, still sitting in the garage, what a waste.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I have a top mast end. It comes in handy sometimes when I have to extend my reach. Knocking hornet's nests out of shrubs and trees seems to be the way I use it the most. (It gives you a head start when you have to run like hell.)
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to see this is discussion today, since I broke my first mast of the season yesterday - and it was the top. Rigged a 7m Hot Sails Maui Speed XP to minimum downhaul spec., and while I turned to grab the booms I heard the unmistakable sound. But yes, top half broken, and 2/3rds of the way up. Very odd, likely a flaw in the mast. North Xcellerator 460CM, 60% carbon. It was my last high-carbon-content mast - all others have broken over the yearts, and I have been replacing them with Fiberspar 30%, which it seems cannot be broken (even by crushing shore break). Anyway, if any of you need a very little used 2002 North Xcellerator 460cm bottom, I've got one for you.
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of those spare z-taper tops is a 400 and available, I'd like to know. I'd like to stick it on a 430 bottom for a slightly shorter mast w/ flexier top. dhmark
sailwave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamieinnyc wrote:
Funny to see this is discussion today, since I broke my first mast of the season yesterday - and it was the top. Rigged a 7m Hot Sails Maui Speed XP to minimum downhaul spec., and while I turned to grab the booms I heard the unmistakable sound. But yes, top half broken, and 2/3rds of the way up. Very odd, likely a flaw in the mast. North Xcellerator 460CM, 60% carbon. It was my last high-carbon-content mast - all others have broken over the yearts, and I have been replacing them with Fiberspar 30%, which it seems cannot be broken (even by crushing shore break). Anyway, if any of you need a very little used 2002 North Xcellerator 460cm bottom, I've got one for you.

I have a vintage early 2000's North Accel 460 top. You in SF Bay area?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to be too much of a gear snob, but z-tapers are pretty bad. better to go get nearly anything else.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with an unusual need, I have the bottom section of a 1998 Gulftech (made in Corpus Cristi) 100% carbon SDM 490cm. The top failed because of camber wear. It's important to note that the mast joint at the ferrule is at a 45 degree angle. It was a great mast before the top broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: