myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sensor at Viento State Park?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Sensor at Viento State Park? Reply with quote

I'm new to windsurfing and the forums, but I was wondering if there is any plan for a sensor to be put at Viento State Park? The piling/river marker, #28 I think, would be a pretty good spot for a sensor. It seems like the wind varies from Stevenson to Swell and this is a good spot.
drblanke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viento would be great. Also Mosier and Celilo.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iwindsurf can clarify but I think part of the problem is a phone line. I don't believe one is available. But I could be wrong. This has been brought up before..
ldhr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Viento is listed as "Experimental". I think it's extrapolated from adjacent readings and it's not a real sensor reading?????
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gang,

Idhr is right the Viento blue "sensor" (see image below) is an extrapolation derived from nearby sensors and the models. In parts of the USA with no nearby topography these extrapolation sensors are very useful since the models are fairly accurate. Here in the Gorge the highest resolution model we use has grids 2KM on a side. That is around an order of magnitude higher resolution than the most powerful supercomputers could produce a decade ago... but it still means the models barely "see" the Gorge in their calculations.

In short don't expect much from these extrapolation sensors here in the Gorge at least in the corridor. Along the coast and perhaps way out east them may be useful.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
windnotes.phanfare.com/

ZZ454381F4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.18 KB
 Viewed:  15253 Time(s)

ZZ454381F4.jpg

Waterlou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with having a Mosier sensor is where to put it.
If it is at the launch, even at the tip end of the launch, it wouldn't tell anyone what is actually happening on the water because the wind is always on the other side of the river.
If it was on the other side of the river, it wouldn't be accurate either because the other side of the river is often a bit of a wind hole too, and sometimes pretty hard to get to if the wind is blowing over there.
Plus, there is usually a full house in the parking anyway, when the wind is blowing, with just the locals that regularly sail there.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time you'd need a sensor at Viento is when it's not blowing at Stevenson or Swell. It can be the only place.
ldhr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
The only time you'd need a sensor at Viento is when it's not blowing at Stevenson or Swell. It can be the only place.

Viento sensor would be awesome for planning downwinders from Viento to HR. It's a guessing game when we load up a shuttle deciding what size kite is appropriate. A sensor at V would be huge help.
crashpile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not clear, is there a good reason why there is no sensor at Viento? I'm learning to windsurf and appreciate good information where I can find it. From what I hear through the grapevine, the Rowena sensor under reports, the Doug's sensor is inhabited by birds and goes to 0 when a bird returns home. I feel like I am paying a reasonable amount of money but the information we are getting could be more comprehensive and accurate. I have had several good days at Viento, but only because I checked there before going to the Near East. I don't know how to read the clouds, nor the wind tendencies that result from wind in place affecting the wind in another.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are 100% correct.

I like the convenience of an electric garage opener too.

I'm so old school, I'd have someone drive to Viento to see what size to rig and not depend on an electronic gizmo. If I was a Kiter.

ldhr wrote:
westender wrote:

Viento sensor would be awesome for planning downwinders from Viento to HR. It's a guessing game when we load up a shuttle deciding what size kite is appropriate. A sensor at V would be huge help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: