myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tendonitis from straps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
If you can, when planing to go upwind, better to raise your heels and lift the windward rail, so the wind gets under the rail and lifts the board.
Try not to rail down the windward rail, as that just causes you to lose speed.
One key factor is the correct length fin. A longer fin will naturally raise the windward rail to get air under it, so you can go upwind higher by raking the sail back more.
Might not work on a tri fin poly glass board, but for anything else, it should.

How do I avoid turning downwind when I do that? The board I use most often is the 09 quatro FSW with a 30cm freeride fin
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
1. When I point my toes/weight the harness/sheet in/turn forward etc it tends to turn the board downwind so I have been steering back upwind with my front foot to keep it balanced.

2. I tried a cascade with the rear foot ramp and really liked it, where can you get those? Maybe that would help keep my back foot solid so that I can steer with it and let my front foot point more.

1. First, you're steering right with your rig and left with your hull. Imagine doing that with your car's front tires: you'd be scrubbing off rubber, robbing power, and turning nowhere. I've never seen it analyzed, but my engineer's gut tells me that countersteering with our WSers' three steering wheels (rig rake, sheeting angle, hull roll) robs power by adding drag with nothing to show for it. We can use any single or combination of those steering inputs, but whichever ones we use should be applied in concert rather than discord. My first choice is footsteering via back foot in its strap, followed by sheeting angle or effort, followed if necessary by rig rake. (I've never found any reason to use my front foot for steering while planing.)

For max upwind (planing) speed and progress on my Gorge boards, I'm leaning my body's cg way forward and my rig aft, I'm sheeted out as required, and my back toes in their center strap are pressing the lee rail into the water just enough to keep the board flat (I suspect additional leeward hull roll works even better on bigger boards with all the straps put on the rail). Some people here said that whole scenario is BS, but Cribb's website backed me up and it improved my upwind ability considerably.

Example: I flew a wavy board and fin upwind in that manner 3.5 miles from Arlington last week to see what the heck that barge-looking thing is near the OR shoreline near the river's western apparent horizon. That's about 6 km in about a dozen tacks (round trips across the river), including a few downwind riffs thrown in when the swell got too inviting.

2. I've bought 30"(?) ramps from NSI, cut them to length, lifted the back edge of my heel pads, and inserted them. More commonly I go to Second Wind, buy DaKine deck pad kits of this general type
( http://tinyurl.com/8rnqnvv ) -- they come in many styles and colors) -- and use them in many ways. I slap the heel ramps on top of my OEM pads as heel ramps, add extra padding beneath my heels on boards I jump often, use a little wedge of the thick center portion to pad the very nose tip of the board from mast whacks and the sail window from nose scrapes, etc. As long as I clean the OEM deck pads before sticking these pieces over them and add beads of clear caulk around the edges, these add-on pieces stay put for good. With the scores of colors available, they can look decent (as though looks trump performance). I've seen countless other people's boards damaged right where I pad mine, and heel ramps serve many functions.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem.

Funny answers first:
- Sail less often
- Remove your footstraps
- Sail switchstanced

More serious answers:
- Change their adjustment (get them to arch more)
- Change footstraps altogether
- Change their angle

I've been practising wymaroos and kept being pulled out of them. Also, overextended my foot in there.
I've arched them more and we'll see what happens.

It only happened on one foot and that footstrap was worn in that spot. I flipped it around to get a little more life out of it.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one set that kind of pinches in more, which eased off on the arches a bit, but started causing new problems with my little toes. Im trying the daking slim straps now, though they might be a bit hard. Ive been using kiteboard straps on my FSW, which seems to help a bit. I havent had the same acute problems again, but its still almost there, and my big toes get sore if I sail too much. Its always hard to tell if these kind of things are just your body adjusting to a new thing, and will go away with time or if they are the start of a problem that will snowball into something worse.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is new. I blame it on worn straps. I've been sailing for 7 years.
I've seen Naish duck tape around his feet, that's my next step Very Happy !
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably correct on your SELF diagnosis, but obviously it could be something else . It may have nothing to do with age, but how old are you ? Weight in relation to body height ?

I think trying any of the suggestions may alleviate some of the symptoms/pain , including your favorite over the counter pain reducing /inflammation treatment .

I use this in a gel form , please read the possible side effects, of which I have never had any. Its available in any heath food type store , most pharmacy's. Also available in pill form, again the read the side effects.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/arnica-000222.htm

My thought is whatever you have its from "OVERUSE", and you will need to discontinue whatever is causing it to go back to ground 0, then attempt to prevent it.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
You are probably correct on your SELF diagnosis, but obviously it could be something else . It may have nothing to do with age, but how old are you ? Weight in relation to body height ?

I think trying any of the suggestions may alleviate some of the symptoms/pain , including your favorite over the counter pain reducing /inflammation treatment .

I use this in a gel form , please read the possible side effects, of which I have never had any. Its available in any heath food type store , most pharmacy's. Also available in pill form, again the read the side effects.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/arnica-000222.htm

My thought is whatever you have its from "OVERUSE", and you will need to discontinue whatever is causing it to go back to ground 0, then attempt to prevent it.

Im 29, 6' and about 190. I try to avoid any NSAID's, ill look into the gel though. I consciously avoid lifting with my toes now and that seems to keep things in check.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
mchaco1 wrote:
1. When I point my toes/weight the harness/sheet in/turn forward etc it tends to turn the board downwind so I have been steering back upwind with my front foot to keep it balanced.

2. I tried a cascade with the rear foot ramp and really liked it, where can you get those? Maybe that would help keep my back foot solid so that I can steer with it and let my front foot point more.

1. First, you're steering right with your rig and left with your hull. Imagine doing that with your car's front tires: you'd be scrubbing off rubber, robbing power, and turning nowhere. I've never seen it analyzed, but my engineer's gut tells me that countersteering with our WSers' three steering wheels (rig rake, sheeting angle, hull roll) robs power by adding drag with nothing to show for it. We can use any single or combination of those steering inputs, but whichever ones we use should be applied in concert rather than discord. My first choice is footsteering via back foot in its strap, followed by sheeting angle or effort, followed if necessary by rig rake. (I've never found any reason to use my front foot for steering while planing.)

I agree with Iso and would guess that your board is incorrectly set up. On a beam reach, you should be able to be confortable in the harness, with no required pull from both arms, with even pressure on both feet and no need to pull up on the straps. Of course, in normal conditions this is not static and will be changing all the time, but it is correct on average.

About your toe, are you raising it to help your heel push down on the board , to make sure your foot doesn't slip out, or to try to pull the nose of the board upwind? (The last one is not a good idea... Footsteering works by angling the board side to side, not by keeping the board flat and trying to change it's direction)

Please also note that putting more weight in your harness is not supposed to make you turn downwind. By putting more pressure on the mast base, the board sides will bite more in the water and you will go upwind better. You possibly move your body forward while trying to put more pressure in the harness, bringing the sail forward with you.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to avoid anything other than vitamins and supplements,

but at times you need something to calm down the damage thats been done, that is where the
anti inflammatory s come in

at 29 you don't want to start a steady diet of drugs , so to speak, but if needed and on a temporary basis then

...well its your call

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited, short-term amounts of NSAIDS are safe ... but still a bandaid first, a cure less reliably.

We don't know whether your foot pain will get better or worse with continued sailing, but you should find out starting in about two months. Sad

My L arch has hurt all summer during and for a few days after sailing.
Beats not sailing.

The best solution so far for me has been wide straps, wide as in front to back, like these:

They spread the load, lessening the PSI at the sore spot.
I've not tried this brand, but I do have piles of several other brands of wide kite straps that feel really good to the top of my feet.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: